Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Berkeley in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Berkeley Y.M.C.A.

City of Berkeley Landmark - designated in 1990

 

—Benjamin G. McDougall, Architect - 1910 —

 
Berkeley Y.M.C.A. Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, December 3, 2011
1. Berkeley Y.M.C.A. Marker
Inscription. Originating among working class Englishmen in 1844, the Young Men's Christian Association was brought to North America in 1851 to promote a "full and balanced life" through religious devotion and athletic activity. Berkeley's charter organization was established in 1903.

Business and service organizations raised the substantial sum of $118,003 to construct this Georgian Revival style building, designed by the architect of the nearby Shattuck Hotel, on land donated by Rosa M. Shattuck and her estate. The original exterior remains largely intact.

An adjacent 1945 building for post-war USO servicemen's activities was demolished for construction of new residential and gymnasium spaces in 1960, and expanded further in 1994.
 
Erected 2011 by Berkeley Historical Plaque Project.
 
Location. 37° 52.149′ N, 122° 16.213′ W. Marker is in Berkeley, California, in Alameda County. Marker is at the intersection of Allston Way and Milvia Street, on the right when traveling west on Allston Way. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2001 Allston Way, Berkeley CA 94704, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. United States Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker);
Spirit * Body * Mind - detail above entrance image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, December 3, 2011
2. Spirit * Body * Mind - detail above entrance
Federal Land Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Elks Club Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Armstrong College Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jos. H. McCourt / Bruno L. Putzker (about 500 feet away); Veterans Memorial Building (about 500 feet away); Berkeley Public Library (about 600 feet away); Berkeley High School Industrial Arts and Science (G and H Buildings) (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Berkeley.
 
More about this marker. The marker is mounted on the front of the building, to the immediate right of the Allston Way entrance.
 
Also see . . .  McDougall Bros. Benjamin G. McDougall (1865-1937) practiced architecture independently, and also with his brothers Charles and George, as part of the family firm of McDougall Brothers. A Guide to Historic Architecture in Fresno provides the story of the McDougall Brothers: "...after the 1906 San Francisco earthquake, McDougall Bros. closed its Fresno
Berkeley Y.M.C.A. - looking across the Allston/Milvia intersection image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, December 3, 2011
3. Berkeley Y.M.C.A. - looking across the Allston/Milvia intersection
office. Benjamin immediately struck out on his own and built an influential private practice in San Francisco and the East Bay. His most significant Bay Area building was the Oakland Federal Building (1913). George and Charles continued as McDougall Bros. until George was appointed State Architect in 1913. Charles, who had the least success, started his own small practice and shared office space with Benjamin for many years...."
(Submitted on December 9, 2011.) 
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkEntertainment
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 515 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement