Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old Bethel United Methodist Church
MoJA Arts Festival
City of Charleston
October 3, 2007
Location. 32° 47.057′ N, 79° 56.517′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Calhoun Street near Pitt Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 222 Calhoun Street, Charleston SC 29401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Bethel Methodist Church (here, next to this marker); Bethel Methodist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Benjamin Lucas House (approx. 0.2 miles away); 66 Bull Street The John Cart House (approx. 0.2 miles away); William Blacklock House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cameron House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kornahrens-Guenveur House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Nine College Way (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Charleston.
Regarding Old Bethel United Methodist Church. National Register of Historic Places:
Old Bethel United Methodist Church *** (added 1975 - - #75001693)
Also known as Bethel Methodist Church
♦ Historic Significance:Architecture/Engineering, Event
♦ Area of Significance: Black, Architecture, Religion
♦ Period of Significance: 1800-1824, 1750-1799
Begun in 1797 and completed in 1809, Old Bethel Methodist Church is the oldest Methodist church building still standing in Charleston. Construction of the original meeting house style church was planned by Francis Asbury, the first Bishop of American Methodism, in the 18th century. The founding of Old Bethel Church by both black and white members was indicative of the Methodist Church philosophy of encouraging black membership in the church. Originally located at the corner of Pitt and Calhoun Streets, the church served a congregation of blacks and whites until the 1840s when the blacks seceded. In 1852 the church was moved to the western part of the church grounds where it was used by the blacks. A new brick church, Bethel Methodist, constructed on the original site, served an all-white congregation. Old Bethel was again moved in 1880 when the building was given to the black congregation and was rolled across Calhoun Street to its present site. Originally a gabled meetinghouse style church, the white clapboard building has been altered by the addition to the facade of a gabled portico supported by four fluted Corinthian columns. A central double door is flanked
(South Carolina Department of Archives and History)
Categories. • African Americans • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 379 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.