Melbourne in Brevard County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Melbourne Public Library
It soon outgrew the store, moved to a building on the corner of New Haven Ave. and Vernon Place, then across the street to the display room of the Ford Motor Co.
In 1922, the books were moved to the office of Dr. I. K. Hicks, upstairs over the Ford Motor Co.
Outgrowing Hicks' office, the books were stored in a feed store on Melbourne Court for a time.
The first library building came into existence in 1924 on the corner of Palmetto and Waverly, where the parking lot of the Sun Bank is in 1989. Cost of construction: $2,500. There were 3,000 books.
In 1954 under the leadership of the Civic Improvement Board, a building was completed on this site, with subsequent enlargements made in 1959 and 1974. That building was razed in 1986 and the present library dedicated in September, 1989.
Location. 28° 4.92′ N, 80° 36.75′ W. Marker is in Melbourne, Florida, in Brevard County. Marker is on East Fee Avenue 0.1 miles east of Hickory Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Melbourne FL 32901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker Henegar School Complex (approx. 0.3 miles away); Tin Can Tourist Campground (approx. 0.3 miles away); Melbourne Ice Plant (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of First Permanent Log Cabin (approx. 0.4 miles away); Myles Building (approx. half a mile away); Campbell Park (approx. half a mile away); Orange Spot Inn (approx. half a mile away); The First Congregational Church of Melbourne (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Melbourne.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jamie Cox of Melbourne, Florida. This page has been viewed 404 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Jamie Cox of Melbourne, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.