Melbourne in Brevard County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The property became grounds of the Goode House (a hotel), later renamed the Bellevue Hotel (located where the Orange Spot Apartments are now).
About 1924 the Flatiron Building was erected. Part of the property was deeded to the city for a street, and this triangular point of land began to sprout trees, checker players and horseshoe pitchers. Later, band concerts, political rallies, auctions, gopher races and marbles were enjoyed here.
William C. Campbell, owner of the property in 1928 gave the land to the city for a park.
Location. 28° 4.694′ N, 80° 36.305′ W. Marker is in Melbourne, Florida, in Brevard County. Marker is at the intersection of New Haven Avenue and Melbourne Court, on the right when traveling east on New Haven Avenue. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Melbourne FL 32901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Myles Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Florida East Coast Railroad (within Orange Spot Inn (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Melbourne Hotel (about 500 feet away); History of the 1900 Building (about 500 feet away); The First Congregational Church of Melbourne (about 700 feet away); Tin Can Tourist Campground (approx. 0.2 miles away); Carleton Hotel - Idlewylde Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Melbourne.
Categories. • African Americans • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jamie Cox of Melbourne, Florida. This page has been viewed 545 times since then and 121 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Jamie Cox of Melbourne, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.