“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Louisville in Winston County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)

First Presbyterian Church

First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jeff Lovorn, November 22, 2011
1. First Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription. First Presbyterian Church was organized in 1839 by Scottish-Irish settlers. Built in 1845, the sanctuary is the original church structure. According to local tradition, the church bell, cast in 1851 by the Andrew Meneely and Sons Foundry of West Troy, New York, was used to alert the citizens of Louisville to the approach of Col. Benjamin Grierson's Union calvary raid on April 22, 1863. In 1973, First Presbyterian Church became a charter member of the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA).
Erected 2007 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Location. 33° 7.353′ N, 89° 3.186′ W. Marker is in Louisville, Mississippi, in Winston County. Marker is on South Columbus Avenue, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Louisville MS 39339, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hamill Spring (approx. 9.3 miles away); Two Steps From The Blues (approx. 14.7 miles away); Ackerman (approx. 14.9 miles away); Coleman's Mill (approx. 15.6 miles away).
Categories. Churches, Etc.War, US Civil
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jeff Lovorn of Florence, Mississippi. This page has been viewed 420 times since then and 70 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Jeff Lovorn of Florence, Mississippi. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement