HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Tybee Island in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Fort Pulaski
 
Fort Pulaski Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Mike Stroud, January 2008
1. Fort Pulaski Marker
 
Inscription. Named for General Casimer Pulaski, the Polish hero who was mortally wounded at the siege of Savannah, 1779, Fort Pulaski was built in accordance with plans by General Simon Bernard, formerly chief engineer under Napoleon. Begun in 1829 and completed in 1847, the Fort was constructed principally under Lt. J. F. K. Mansfield. There Lt. Robert E. Lee saw his first service after graduation from West Point.

Fort Pulaski was never garrisoned until its seizure by Georgia troops in January, 1861, to prevent occupation by Federal forces. On April 10, 1862, Federal batteries on Tybee Island commenced the bombardment of Fort Pulaski. After 30 hours of bombardment as a result of which the walls were breached and its guns disabled, Col. Charles H. Olmstead surrendered the Fort. The bombardment marked the first effective use of rifled cannon against a masonry fortification and constituted an epoch in military history.

Abandoned by 1885, Fort Pulaski became a National Monument in 1924 and was placed under the National Park Service in 1933.
 
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 25-61.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 32° 
 
Fort Pulaski Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Mike Stroud, January 2008
2. Fort Pulaski Marker
Fort can be seen on the left, from the highway
 
1.126′ N, 80° 53.987′ W. Marker is in Tybee Island, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is on Islands Expressway (U.S. 80), on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Located at the entrance to the park, East of Savannah, Georgia. Marker is in this post office area: Tybee Island GA 31328, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. History of Emancipation: (approx. 0.7 miles away); Moat Feeder Canal (approx. 0.7 miles away); Cisterns of the Construction Village (approx. mile away); The Waving Girl (approx. mile away); Cockspur Island Lighthouse (approx. mile away); John Wesley (1703-1791) (approx. mile away); Southwest Magazine (approx. mile away); Southwest Bastion (approx. mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Tybee Island.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Inside the fort.
 
Also see . . .
1. National Park Service. After thirty-hours of bombardment, the fort surrendered. (Submitted on January 28, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 

2. Wikipeda speaks about. Wooden pilings sunk up to 70 feet into mud support an estimated 25,000,000 bricks. (Submitted on January 28, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 

3. General Gilmore's Official Report. After the reduction of Fort Pulaski, General Quincy Gilmore produced an official report of over 100 pages. The abridged version of the report was reprinted in the New York Times, April 12, 1862. (Submitted on January 28, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Fort Pulaski wears its battle scars, as "A Badge of Honor" Photo, Click for full size
By Mike Stroud, January 2008
3. Fort Pulaski wears its battle scars, as "A Badge of Honor"
Fort Pulaski National Monument was established by Presidential Proclamation on October 15, 1924. It contains 5,365 acres, including some of the most pristine and scenic marshland on the Georgia coast.
 
 
Fort Pulaski Damage Photo, Click for full size
By Mike Stroud, January 2008
4. Fort Pulaski Damage
This Fort Pulaski position was fired upon for 30 hours from nearby Tybee Island, 1½ miles away
 
 
Fort Pulaski Photo, Click for full size
By Mike Stroud, January 2008
5. Fort Pulaski
Fort Pulaski was never garrisoned until its seizure by Georgia troops in January, 1861, to prevent occupation by Federal forces. Prior to the war, a civilian caretaker had maintained the fortification.
 
 
4.5 inch Blakely Rifle Photo, Click for full size
By Mike Stroud, January 2008
6. 4.5 inch Blakely Rifle
Fired a 24 pound projectile up to 3 miles
 
 
Brooke Rifle Photo, Click for full size
By Mike Stroud, January 2008
7. Brooke Rifle
This gun not truely used at fort, but was used in Defense of Savannah,Thunderbolt Battery (per NPS), could fire 64 pound projectiles 5 miles
 
 
30pdr Parrott Demonstration Photo, Click for full size
By David Tibbs, November 22, 2008
8. 30pdr Parrott Demonstration
This is a demonstration of the type of cannons used against the fort. The demonstrations are only held on Saturdays. This is the largest and the only cannon of its type the National Park Service fires.
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on January 28, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,594 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on January 28, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   8. submitted on November 23, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 205 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.