Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tucker in DeKalb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Federal Left Wing to Decatur

 
 
Federal Left Wing to Decatur Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, December 11, 2011
1. Federal Left Wing to Decatur Marker
Inscription. July 19, 1864. The 15th & 17th, two of three corps, McPherson’s Army of the Tenn., forming the left wing of Sherman’s forces advancing on Atlanta, came this way on the last day of their march from Roswell to Decatur.

The other corps, Dodge’s 16th, reached Decatur via Shallow Ford & Clairmont rds. W. of here.

This wide swing to the S.E. from Roswell was for the purpose of destroying the Ga. R. R. between Stone Mtn. & Decatur, in which Garrard’s cav. div., on McPherson’s left, was most active. McPherson’s troops were the ones assailed by Hood’s forces in E. Atlanta, July 22.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 044-22.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 49.574′ N, 84° 15.34′ W. Marker is in Tucker, Georgia, in DeKalb County. Marker is at the intersection of Lawrenceville Highway (U.S. 29) and Montreal Road, on the right when traveling west on Lawrenceville Highway. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tucker GA 30084, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Logan's 15th & Blair's 17th A.C. to Decatur
Federal Left Wing to Decatur Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, December 11, 2011
2. Federal Left Wing to Decatur Marker
(approx. 1.6 miles away); The March to Decatur (approx. 1.6 miles away); Site: Henderson’s Mill (approx. 2.3 miles away); Logan’s Corps Moves to Henderson’s Mill (approx. 2.4 miles away); Dodge's & Blair's Columns Separate (approx. 2.5 miles away); Garrard's & Lightburn's to Stone Mountain (approx. 2.7 miles away); Browning's Courthouse (approx. 3 miles away); Site: Blake’s Mill (approx. 3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Tucker.
 
More about this marker. The marker has been moved slightly from its original location due to the reconfiguration of the intersection.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Federal Left Wing to Decatur Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, December 11, 2011
3. Federal Left Wing to Decatur Marker
Looking west, with Lawrenceville Highway (US 29) on the left and Montreal Road to the right.
Federal Left Wing to Decatur Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, December 11, 2011
4. Federal Left Wing to Decatur Marker
Looking east from Montreal Road at Lawrenceville Highway (US Highway 29) and its intersection with Interstate Highway 285.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 441 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement