High Bridge in Hunterdon County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Old Iron Mines
C. 1730 - 1889
Supplied ore for
Solitude (Union) Forge
Ore made into cannonballs
for use of Revolutionary Army
William Allen and Joseph Turner
1742 - 1778
Robert Taylor and Family
1778 - 1863
Thomas Iron Company
Taylor Iron Works
Erected 1975 by The Historical Society of High Bridge (now maintained by Union Forge Heritage Association).
Location. 40° 40.285′ N, 74° 53.657′ W. Marker is in High Bridge, New Jersey, in Hunterdon County. Marker is at the intersection of Fairview Avenue (New Jersey Route 513) and Mine road, on the right when traveling north on Fairview Avenue. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: High Bridge NJ 08829, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. High Bridge and the Railroad (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Joseph Parish (approx. 0.2 miles away); The American Hotel (approx. ¼ mile away); T.I.S.C.O. Complex (approx. 0.3 miles away); Taylor Wharton Iron and Steel Company (approx. 0.3 miles The TISCO Complex (approx. 0.3 miles away); C.K. Hoffman Veterans Memorial Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); Taylor Iron and Steel Company (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in High Bridge.
Regarding Old Iron Mines. The original area, known as West New Jersey, was inhabited by a division of the Lenape Indians and settled around 1700. In 1742, William Allen leased a 300-acre site extending from present day Califon, New Jersey, to Pattenburg from the West Jersey Society, on which he and his partner, Joseph Turner, established the first ironworks in Philadelphia's colonial times. In 1752, Allen and Turner purchased 10,849 acres in Bethlehem and Lebanon Townships which included our present-day High Bridge. In early 1758, Robert Taylor came to the area from Ireland at the age of 17. Well educated, he first taught school in Kingwood Township, but became bookkeeper for Allen and Turner toward the close of 1758 having taken residence with then ironworks Superintendent Colonel Hackett in a house now a portion of the Taylor mansion (now Solitude House located at 7 River Road). When Colonel Hackett died in 1775, Robert Taylor was chosen as his successor.
Source: NJN Television (http://www.njn.net/television/specials/life360/themesbridges.html)
1. CH Vivian Photo
The CH Vivian Photo is from the Taylor Wharton 250th Anniversary Booklet published in 1942.
— Submitted January 23, 2008, by William Honachefsky Jr of High Bridge/Clinton Twp, New Jersey.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Military • Natural Resources • Notable Persons • Patriots & Patriotism • War of 1812 • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Honachefsky Jr of High Bridge/Clinton Twp, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 2,559 times since then and 11 times this year. Last updated on , by William Honachefsky Jr of High Bridge/Clinton Twp, New Jersey. Photos: 1. submitted on , by William Honachefsky Jr of High Bridge/Clinton Twp, New Jersey. 2. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 3. submitted on , by William Honachefsky Jr of High Bridge/Clinton Twp, New Jersey. 4. submitted on , by William Honachefsky Jr of High Bridge/Clinton Twp, New Jersey. 5. submitted on , by William Honachefsky Jr of High Bridge/Clinton Twp, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.