Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
West Chester in Chester County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Chester County Courthouse

West Chester, PA

 

—Placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972 —

 
Chester County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith S Smith, November 10, 2011
1. Chester County Courthouse Marker
Inscription. The first court house within the limits of the present County of Chester stood at this corner on a plot of ground 115 feet in front by 165 feet in depth The building, begun in 1784 and completed in 1786, was used until 1846 when the present structure was erected
 
Erected 1921 by Chester County Historical Society.
 
Location. 39° 57.591′ N, 75° 36.288′ W. Marker is in West Chester, Pennsylvania, in Chester County. Marker is at the intersection of North High Street and West Market Street on North High Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: West Chester PA 19380, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Chester County (a few steps from this marker); Old Glory (a few steps from this marker); Chester County World War II Veterans Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Disabled Veterans of Chester County Pennsylvania Memorial (a few steps from this marker); The First National Bank of West Chester (within shouting distance of this marker); Lincoln Biography (within shouting distance of this marker); William Darlington M.D.
West Chester Borough Historic Site 3 - The 10 Commandments on the Courthouse Steps image. Click for full size.
By Keith S Smith, November 10, 2011
2. West Chester Borough Historic Site 3 - The 10 Commandments on the Courthouse Steps
(within shouting distance of this marker); Bank of Chester County (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in West Chester.
 
Regarding Chester County Courthouse. This courthouse was designed by the same architect that designed the National Capital in Washington D.C.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
 
Also see . . .
1. Chester County - Wikipedia. (Submitted on December 14, 2011, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.)
2. Living Places - Chester County. (Submitted on December 14, 2011, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.)
3. Thomas U. Walter - Courthouse Architect. (Submitted on December 14, 2011, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.)
 
Additional comments.
1. A Brief History of the Chester County Courthouse
The Chester County Courthouse was originally constructed in 1846, by Thomas U. Walter at an initial cost of $55,343.98. This brick and stone structure measured 62' by 119' plus a 12' portico. In 1893, a 50' by 135' addition of Indiana limestone was erected under the supervision of architect T. Roney Williamson. A modern section has been added in 1966. In degree of architectural
Chester County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Keith S Smith, November 10, 2011
3. Chester County Courthouse
importance the original Walter section is by far the most significant.
    — Submitted December 14, 2011, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.

2. Borough of West Chester Historic Sites
This courthouse comprises two of the Borough of West Chesters, Historical Sites, #3 & #7
    — Submitted December 14, 2011, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.

 
Categories. Notable BuildingsNotable PlacesSettlements & Settlers
 
National Register Plaque - 1972 image. Click for full size.
By Keith S Smith, October 11, 2011
4. National Register Plaque - 1972
Courthouse Steps - 3 Markers Visible image. Click for full size.
By Keith S Smith, October 11, 2011
5. Courthouse Steps - 3 Markers Visible
Historic Site 3 - Borough of West Chester image. Click for full size.
By Keith S Smith, October 11, 2011
6. Historic Site 3 - Borough of West Chester
Market Street West Entrance - WC Historic Site 7 image. Click for full size.
By Keith S Smith, November 10, 2011
7. Market Street West Entrance - WC Historic Site 7
Market Street Center Entrance - WC Borough Historic Site 7 image. Click for full size.
By Keith S Smith, November 10, 2011
8. Market Street Center Entrance - WC Borough Historic Site 7
Borough of West Chester Historic Site 7 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith S Smith, November 10, 2011
9. Borough of West Chester Historic Site 7 Marker
Chester County Courthouse Side Entry image. Click for full size.
By Keith S Smith, November 10, 2011
10. Chester County Courthouse Side Entry
Chester County Tricentennial Time Capsule image. Click for full size.
By Keith S Smith, October 17, 2011
11. Chester County Tricentennial Time Capsule
Sealed November 1, 1983 to be opened at the
commencement of the Quadricentennal
Commissioners
Robert J. Thompson
Earl M. Baker
Patrick C. O’Donnell
Archivist Jack McCarthy
Vault Donated by DeBaptiste Funeral Homes, Inc.
The TriCentennial Tree image. Click for full size.
By Keith S Smith, October 17, 2011
12. The TriCentennial Tree
In Honor of Chester County TriCentennial Celebration
October 26, 1982
The TriCentennial Tree image. Click for full size.
By Keith S Smith, October 17, 2011
13. The TriCentennial Tree
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 558 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13. submitted on , by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement