“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Glarus in Green County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)

New Glarus

New Glarus Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, July 27, 2007
1. New Glarus Marker
Inscription. In 1845 the Emigration Society of the Canton of Glarus, Switzerland, sent Nicholas Duerst and Fridolin Streiff to the United States to purchase land for a Swiss settlement. They were joined in August by 108 settlers who began their homesteads on 1,280 acres of farm and timber land bordering the Little Sugar River. The first years were hard and it was not until April 1850 that the town was organized. Then New Glarus began to prosper; in 1851 the first store opened, in 1853 the first hotel and in 1870 the first cheese factory. By 1892 the population had increased to 600. The culture of Old Glarus has not been forgotten; the Swiss-German dialect is still spoken and the traditional holidays are observed.
Erected 1961 by the Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 110.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
Location. 42° 48.922′ N, 89° 37.943′ W. Marker is in New Glarus, Wisconsin, in Green County. Marker is at the intersection of Railroad Street and 5th Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Railroad Street. Click for map. Marker is along the Sugar River State (bicycle) Trail, near the historic New Glarus Depot. Marker is at or near this postal address: 418 Railroad Street, New Glarus WI 53574, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as
New Glarus and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, July 27, 2007
2. New Glarus and Marker
the crow flies. Herbert O. Kubly (approx. 0.2 miles away); Primrose Lutheran Church (approx. 5 miles away); Nickolaus Gerber (approx. 5.2 miles away); Early Belleville / Library Park (approx. 5.9 miles away); St. Raphael's Frenchtown Cemetery (approx. 8.6 miles away); Paoli (approx. 9.5 miles away); Pioneer Scottish Settlement (approx. 10.3 miles away); Donald Park (approx. 10.5 miles away).
Also see . . .  New Glarus. America's "Little Switzerland" is located in the heart of Green County in Southern Wisconsin. (Submitted on January 29, 2008.) 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
New Glarus image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, July 27, 2007
3. New Glarus
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,701 times since then and 73 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement