Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Milwaukee in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

E.R. Godfrey & Sons Co. Commission House

Historic Third Ward

 
 
E.R. Godfrey & Sons Co. Commission House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, November 1, 2011
1. E.R. Godfrey & Sons Co. Commission House Marker
Inscription.
This property has been
placed on the
National Register
of Historic Places

E.R. Godfrey & Sons Co.
Commission House

Tour Site 9
1911
(Marker Number 9.)
 
Location. 43° 2.117′ N, 87° 54.434′ W. Marker is in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in Milwaukee County. Marker is at the intersection of North Broadway Street and East St Paul Avenue, on the left when traveling south on North Broadway Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 N Broadway St, Milwaukee WI 53202, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Broadway Produce Co. (within shouting distance of this marker); Jewett & Sherman Co. Merchant Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); O.C. Hansen Glove and Mitten Mfg. Co. (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Kalvelage Wholesale Commission House (about 300 feet away); Otto Kuehn Leaf Tobacco Warehouse (about 400 feet away); F. Mayer Boot & Shoe Co. (about 400 feet away); Baumbach Building (about 400 feet away); Standard Paper Co. (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Milwaukee.
 
Regarding E.R. Godfrey & Sons Co. Commission House. E.R. Godfrey & Sons constructed
E.R. Godfrey & Sons Co. Commission House image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, November 1, 2011
2. E.R. Godfrey & Sons Co. Commission House
this building in 1911 for their commission and wholesale grocery business. It is claimed they were responsible for shipping the first banana to Milwaukee as well as for being the first to enter the frozen food business in the area. The Bruce Publishing Co., a printer of bibles and liturgical materials, remodeled the building extensively when they moved here in 1949. The LoDuca Brothers bought the building in 1972 and renamed it the LoDuca Building. The building was converted to residential condominiums in 2005. -Historic Third Ward Walking Tour brochure
 
Also see . . .  Historic Third Ward - Take A Tour. Historic Third Ward Association (Submitted on December 18, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin.) 
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 378 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement