Hesperia in San Bernardino County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Las Flores Ranch / Mojave Trail
[This is a four sided monument with four different markers:]
At or near this place was once located a Vanyume Indian village called Guapiabit, where, in 1808, the Franciscan Fray Zalvidea baptised two old men and three aged women.
The devoted father, soon to assume the administration of the Mission San Gabriel, had traveled from Santa Barbara as official diarist of an expedition sent out in quest of suitable sites for inland missions.
Until 1924, this fenced lane was used as a part of the county road down Summit Valley from Cajon Pass.
From here, a branch road once led across the West For, just below the present bridge, and followed up the stream to connect with old lumber roads in the mountains.
The ancient Indian trail from
The Piute Indians, using this trail, left a pathway which guided explorer, priest and pioneer across the desert waste and over the mountain barrier.
When the Mormons came, in 1851, immigrant wagons already worn a well marked road through Cajon Pass . Threafter, the old Mojave Trail was little used.
Erected 1969 by Billy Holcomb Chapter No. 1069, E Clampus Vitus. (Marker Number 1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus, and the The Mojave Road (Old Government Road) marker series.
Location. 34° 18.676′ N, 117° 19.407′ W. Marker is in Hesperia, California, in San Bernardino County. Marker can be reached from California Route 173 2 miles east of California Route 138. Click for map. The marker is located on the Las Flores Ranch property. The plaque is in the central area among the buildings. Marker is in this post office area: Hesperia CA 92345, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Las Flores Ranch Barn (within shouting distance of this marker); Mormon Lumber Road (approx. 5.6 miles away); Mountain History Museum Donald S. Wieman (approx. 7.7 miles away); Mormon Pioneer Trail (approx. 8.2 miles away); Stoddard-Waite Monument (approx. 8.2 miles away); The Daley Road (approx. 8.3 miles away); Blue Cut (approx. 8.4 miles away).
More about this marker. The placement of the first plaque of the Billy Holcomb Chapter was under the sponsorship of E Clampus Vitus, Platrix Chapter No. 2. It was mounted on two 4" X 4" redwood posts. In about 1972 when clearing and construction for Lake Silverwood was beginning, the ranch property owners gathered up the plaque and three other private plaques nearby [(organizations not known)] and had them engraved into granite slabs. They then built the still existing pyramid-shaped monument and mounted the granite slabs onto it.
SOURCE: Billy Holcomb Chapter 1069 35th Anniversary Plaque Book by Phillip Holdaway
The monument also bears a farm bell.
Categories. • Agriculture • Exploration • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 1,095 times since then and 181 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. 8. submitted on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.