Near Fort Gaines in Clay County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Local Tradition maintains that the Toney-Standley House was built about 1803 by Mr. William Toney. It is reputed that on two occasions Toney had as his overnight guest Aaron Burr, third Vice- President of the United States. Legend has it that Burr stopped here while fleeing to Florida in 1804 and in 1807 after he was arrested for Treason by General Edmund Pendleton Gaines.
In 1959 the Toney-Standley House was moved from its original site, near Sandy Creek, to its present location. This Plantation Plain styles structure is similar to other early homes built in the Chattahoochee River Valley of Alabama and Georgia. On September 17, 1974 it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of The Interior.
Erected 1980 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 31° 42.929′ N, 85° 5.354′ W. Marker was near Fort Gaines, Georgia, in Clay County. Marker was at the intersection of Days Cross Road (County Route 135) and Route 80, on the left when traveling west on Days Cross Road. Click for map. Marker was in this post office area: Fort Gaines GA 39851, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. New Lowell United Methodist Church / New Lowell School (approx. one mile away); Indian Treaty Boundary Line (approx. 4 miles away in Alabama); Mt. Gilead Baptist Church (approx. 5.4 miles away); a different marker also named Indian Treaty Boundary Line (approx. 5.5 miles away in Alabama); 1814 Boundary / Founding of Fort Gaines (approx. 6.3 miles away); Oketeyeconne / Chattahoochee Theater (approx. 6.3 miles away); White Oak United Methodist Church (approx. 6.8 miles away in Alabama); Liberty United Methodist Church / Hilliardsville (approx. 7 miles away in Alabama). Click for a list of all markers in Fort Gaines.
More about this marker. The marker was known to have been standing in 2003. The text for the missing marker was taken from "Chattahoochee Trace Historical Markers in Alabama and Georgia," published by the Historical Chattahoochee Commission in 1983.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 329 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 3. submitted on , by J. Makali Bruton of San Salvador, El Salvador. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of marker before it went missing. • Can you help?