Barstow in San Bernardino County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Barstow Harvey House
Erected 1983 by State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Billy Holcomb Chapter of E Clampus Vitus, Mojave River Valley Museum, San Bernadino County Museum, and Fred Harvey, Inc. (Marker Number 892.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 34° 54.274′ N, 117° 1.49′ W. Marker is in Barstow, California, in San Bernardino County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North First Avenue and Riverside Drive. Click for map. Exit I-15 in Barstow at Barstow Road (SR-247), cross over the freeway and continue north for 0.8 miles. Turn left on Main Street (Old Route 66), drive 0.2 miles and turn right on North 1st Avenue. Continue past the bridge about 0.1 of a mile and turn right on Riverside Drive. Marker is at or near this postal address: 846 First Ave, Barstow CA 92311, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. General Beale Uses Camels (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Mormon Trail (approx. 0.4 miles away); Calico Mountain Mines (approx. 0.4 miles away); Christiansen Memorial Plaza (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mojave Runners (approx. 0.4 miles away); Father Garces (approx. 0.4 miles away); Waterman Junction Becomes Barstow 1886 (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Old Spanish Trail (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Barstow.
More about this marker. This marker was moved from the original location at the Barstow Museum to the Harvey House in the spring of 2003. The Harvey House has a Route 66 Museum located in the rear of the building.
SOURCE: Billy Holcomb Chapter 1069 35th Anniversary Plaque Book by Phillip Holdaway
Regarding Barstow Harvey House. In 1893 Fred Harvey, founder and operator of the Santa Fe Harvey Houses, took over the operation of all hotel and restaurants on the Santa Fe line, including the one at Barstow (then Waterman Junction) constructed in 1885. In 1908 this Harvey House burned, and in 1910-13 the present Spanish-Moorish structure designed by architect Mary E. J. Coulter was constructed. It is the best surviving example of California's depot-hotels of the turn of the century.
Also see . . .
1. Harvey Houses - Hotels, Lunchrooms, Restaurants in the Old West. (Submitted on May 4, 2006.)
2. History and Ritual of E Clampus Vitus. History of the fraternal organization that helped erect this marker. (Submitted on May 4, 2006.)
3. Virtual Barstow. (Submitted on July 2, 2006.)
Categories. • Landmarks • Notable Buildings • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Joseph Beeman of Upland, California. This page has been viewed 4,189 times since then and 133 times this year. Last updated on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Joseph Beeman of Upland, California. 5, 6. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.