“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fontana in San Bernardino County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)

Site of U.S. Rabbit Experimental Station

U.S. Rabbit Experimental Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joseph Beeman
1. U.S. Rabbit Experimental Station Marker
Inscription. In March 1928, the Federal Government established the first and only experimental station in the United States devoted solely to research on the breeding and raising of rabbits on a five-acre property donated by A. B. Miller of Fontana. The station successfully pioneered new techniques of rabbit care and breeding until 1965 when the City of Fontana acquired the property for use as a senior citizens facility.
Erected 1984 by Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Fontana Historical Society, the City of Fontana, and the Billy Holcomb Chapter , ECV. (Marker Number 950.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 34° 6.094′ N, 117° 26.672′ W. Marker is in Fontana, California, in San Bernardino County. Marker is at the intersection of Cypress Avenue and Sierra Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Cypress Avenue. Click for map. The marker is located in front of the Josephine Knopf Senior Citizens Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8384 Cypress Avenue, Fontana CA 92335, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fontana Farms Company (approx. 0.6 miles
Taken From Seville Park image. Click for full size.
By Joseph Beeman
2. Taken From Seville Park
away); Agua Mansa (approx. 6.4 miles away); Pioneer Women (approx. 7.2 miles away); Jensen-Alvarado Ranch (approx. 7.7 miles away); Robidoux Grist Mill Site (approx. 7.7 miles away); Sycamore Grove (approx. 7.8 miles away); Galleano Winery (approx. 8.4 miles away); Cucamonga Service Station (approx. 8.6 miles away).
More about this marker. In the 1920's rabbits were considered the new meat industry in California and also supplied valuable pelts and fertilizer by-products. This registered landmark plaque was first cast with a hole in the middle and had to be sent back for re-casting without a hole. The Josephine Knopf Senior Citizens Center consists of remodeled buildings of the old U.S. Rabbit Station. The Plaque dedication was followed by a Famclamp Picnic at the Jurupa Hill / Marin Tudor Regional Park.
SOURCE: Billy Holcomb Chapter 1069 35th Anniversary Plaque Book by Phillip Holdaway
Also see . . .
1. Rabbit Experiment Station to the Dedicated March 3, 1928. PDF of one-page Department of Agriculture press release. (Submitted on May 17, 2006.) 

2. Meet the meat shortage by eating domestic rabbit meat. PDF of two page Department of Interior press release. (Submitted on May 17, 2006.) 
Categories. AgricultureLandmarks
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Joseph Beeman of Upland, California. This page has been viewed 2,673 times since then and 215 times this year. Last updated on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Joseph Beeman of Upland, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement