Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Colmar Manor in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old Spring House

 
 
Old Spring House Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, January 28, 2008
1. Old Spring House Marker
Inscription. This venerable building dates back to the year 1683, when one of the early colonists built his home on the overlooking hillside. The spring still feeds cool water to the trough inside the spring house. This was the only method available in those days for cooling milk, butter and other dairy products.

This land was a part of the original grant from Lord Baltimore to George Conn, and remained in the Conn family for more than 200 years. This is one of the oldest buildings standing in the state of Maryland.
 
Location. 38° 55.695′ N, 76° 57.161′ W. Marker is in Colmar Manor, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker can be reached from Bladensburg Road (Maryland Route 450) 0.2 miles west of 38th Avenue, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is located within the Fort Lincoln Cemetery, just passed the mausaleum. Marker is in this post office area: Brentwood MD 20722, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Lincoln Oak (a few steps from this marker); Fort Lincoln (a few steps from this marker); Fort Lincoln Mausoleum (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Battle of Bladensburg (about 400 feet
Marker and Old Spring House image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, January 28, 2008
2. Marker and Old Spring House
To the left of the spring house is the "Lincoln Oak" - subject of its own marker and also described on the plaque attached to the spring house.
away); Barney Monument (about 400 feet away); Little Church of Fort Lincoln (about 400 feet away); Abraham Lincoln (about 400 feet away); Living Sculpture (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Colmar Manor.
 
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
 
Old Spring House image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, January 28, 2008
3. Old Spring House
This Old Spring House Plaque image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, January 28, 2008
4. This Old Spring House Plaque
Inscription of plaque attached to the spring house:
This old spring house was built by English colonists who in the late years of the 17th century had established a residence close by, climaxing an ocean voyage which ended on the banks ofthe nearby Eastern Branch.
Erected about 1683. The spring house is among the oldest structural relics of the American Colonization Era.
The old oak tree according to qualified judgement was more than 125 years old when the spring house was built.
This venerable old tree has come to be known as 'The Lincoln Oak' because of traditional conferences under its spreading limbs, between President Lincoln and the commanding officers of the nearby fortifications.
It is not a fanciful belief that upon such an occasion, the Civil War president drank of the cooling waters which spring from among its roots.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,820 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement