The Lincoln Highway
The Lincoln Highway (now U.S. 30) entered Ogallala at East 4th Street and exited on West 5th Street near the fairground. Early coast-to-coast travelers often stopped at campgrounds established for the auto adventurers. In the summer of 1919 Lieutenant Colonel Dwight D. Eisenhower led an eighty-one-vehicle military convoy through Ogallala on the Lincoln Highway. The trip promoted the importance of Interstate travel by the military, and helped popularize the route for thousands of civilians who followed.
Erected by Ogallala/Keith County Chamber of Commerce. (Marker Number 8.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Lincoln Highway marker series.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Interstate 80 (a few steps from this marker); California Hill (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Union Pacific (about 300 feet away); Highways 26 and 92 (about 400 feet away); The Mormon Trail (about 400 feet away); The Pony Express (about 500 feet away); The Great Platte River Road (about 700 feet away); Standard Oil Gas Station (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Ogallala.
Also see . . . Lincoln Highway - Wikipedia. (Submitted on December 21, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 488 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.