Capitol Hill in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Healing the Wounded
Tour of Duty
—Barracks Row Heritage Trail —
In 1866 the Navy completed the hospital you see across the street to treat injured and ailing seamen. With beds for 50, it included the carriage house/stable and cast-iron fence and (around the corner) the gazebo. Its front door originally was on E Street facing the nearby Navy Yard and Marine Barracks; later occupants entered from Pennsylvania Avenue.
The hospital’s first patient was 24-year-old African American seaman Benjamin Drummond, admitted in June 1866 with a gunshot wound to his leg received in a Civil War battle three years before. After escaping from a Confederate prison in Texas, Drummond returned to duty, but when his old wound gave him trouble, he was hospitalized at the modern facility here. In 1868 Drummond was discharged with a government pension.
By 1906 the hospital was deemed “antiquated,” and it closed briefly, reopening as the Hospital Corps Training School, where sailors learned nursing, hygiene and anatomy. From 1922 until 1963 it was the Temporary Home for Old Soldiers and Sailors. Since 1963 the building has been leased to District of Columbia government agencies. In 2000 concerned neighbors formed the Friends of the Old Naval Hospital to promote the restoration of the building and grounds.
As you walk along Ninth Street to the next Barracks Row Heritage Trail sign,
With thanks for research by Dan Daly and Friends of the Old Naval Hospital
Records of the Naval Hospital’s first patient, Benjamin Drummond
Drummond first served on this sailing ship USS Portsmouth
Naval Historical Center
Number 509 Ninth Street, a Romanesque Revival House on two lots (above, left) was built in 1896 by L. M. Chilton, later owners ran a grocery store here. The four houses next door at 513 through 519 (left) are typical 15-foot-wide, post-Civil War brick row houses built for middle-class Navy Yard workers. Across the street at 1518 (above, right) is a Civil War era “shotgun” house, an inexpensive style usually built by its working class owner.
Photographs  by John Shore
The 17th Class of the Hospital Training Corps [sic] posed in front of the Naval Hospital in 1909.
[Photo on reverse:]
This view of the Naval Hospital was made just a few years after it opened in 1866
Washingtoniana Division, D.C. Public Library
Location. 38° 52.957′ N, 76° 59.63′ W. Marker is in Capitol Hill, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is on 9th Street, SE near E Street, SE. Click for map. - 921 Pennsylvania Avenue, SE. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20003, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Commerce and Community (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Oldest Post of the Corps (about 500 feet away); A Neighborhood For Everyone (about 500 feet away); Edge of the Row (about 700 feet away); John Philip Sousa (approx. 0.2 miles away); In the Alley (approx. 0.2 miles away); Christ Church, Washington Parish (approx. 0.2 miles away); Christ Church and Its Parishioners (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Capitol Hill.
Also see . . .
1. Hill Center at the Old Naval Hospital. (Submitted on December 21, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. U.S. Navy Hospital Corps. (Submitted on December 21, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. Corpsman; U.S. Navy Hospital Corps
Categories. • African Americans • Notable Places • Science & Medicine • War, US Civil • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 570 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.