Martinez in Contra Costa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Vicente Martinez Adobe
Erected 1983 by State Department of Park and Recreation, National Park Service, Joaquin Murrieta Chapter No. 13, E Clampus Vitus. (Marker Number 511.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the California Historical Landmarks, the E Clampus Vitus, and the Juan Bautista de Anza National Historic Trail marker series.
Location. 37° 59.526′ N, 122° 7.855′ W. Marker is in Martinez, California, in Contra Costa County. Marker can be reached from Alhambra Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is located at the front of the visitor center at the John Muir National Historic Site. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4202 Alhambra Avenue, Martinez CA 94553, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Muir Home (here, next to this marker); The Vicente Martinez Adobe - 1849 (approx. 0.2 miles Birthplace of The Martini (approx. 1.6 miles away); 624 Talbart Street (approx. 1.7 miles away); 605, 607 & 615 Talbart (approx. 1.7 miles away); 535 Talbart (approx. 1.7 miles away); State Theatre (approx. 1.7 miles away); Hilson's (approx. 1.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Martinez.
More about this marker. This site and marker are located on the Juan Bautista de Anza National Historic Trail. See Nearby Marker "The Vicente Martinez Adobe - 1849" for additional information.
Regarding Vicente Martinez Adobe. The original land grant contained over 17,000 acres and reached the shore of San Francisco Bay about 8 miles to the west. Vicente Martinez built this house in 1849. The foundation is rough stone, while the walls are sun dried adobe bricks ranging from 24 to 30 inches thick. The roof was covered with either cedar or redwood shingles. Martinez lived in this adobe for four years. He sold it to Edward Franklin (namesake of the nearby Franklin Canyon) who had come to California from England during the
Ownership changed several times until purchased in 1874 by Dr. John Strentzel, father-in-law of John Muir. Dr. Strentzel used the adobe as a storeroom and as a residence for his ranch foreman.
In later years the adobe became the residence of John Muir’s eldest daughter, Wanda, and her husband Thomas Hanna.
Source: John Muir National Historic Site Tour Brochure
Also see . . . History of Martinez. From the book Martinez - A California Town:
In 1824, the Alhambra Valley was included in a 17,000 acre land grant awarded to Don Ygnacio Martinez by the Mexican government for services rendered to the Royal Spanish and Mexican armies. In 1849, Don Ygnacio's son, Don Vicente, built the adobe house now located at the rear of the John Muir Home Historic Site. (Submitted on December 21, 2011.)
Categories. • Hispanic Americans • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 699 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 3. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.