Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Schenectady in Schenectady County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Hotel Van Curler

 
 
Hotel Van Curler Marker image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, July 14, 2011
1. Hotel Van Curler Marker
Inscription.
Hotel Van Curler
Built 1925

Has been placed on the
National Register
Of Historic Places

By the United States
Department of the Interior

 
Location. 42° 48.886′ N, 73° 56.976′ W. Marker is in Schenectady, New York, in Schenectady County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Ave and State Street (New York State Route 5), on the right when traveling south on Washington Ave. Click for map. The plaque is mounted to the front of the building, under the large portico, left of the main entrance, which faces Washington Ave. . Marker is at or near this postal address: 78 Washington Ave., Schenectady NY 12305, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Free Masonry (within shouting distance of this marker but has been reported missing); M-7 Day (within shouting distance of this marker); Schenectady (within shouting distance of this marker); Southwest Corner of Stockade (within shouting distance of this marker); Clench's Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); John Glen House 1740 (about
Hotel Van Curler Marker image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, July 14, 2011
2. Hotel Van Curler Marker
The marker can be seen between the 2nd and 3rd columns from the left, below the word Schenectady on the newly rebuilt portico at the front of the college.
400 feet away, measured in a direct line but has been reported missing); Robert Sanders House 1750 (about 500 feet away); First Mill (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Schenectady.
 
Regarding Hotel Van Curler. The Hotel Van Curler was named after Arent Van Curler. In 1662 Van Curler, (later van Corlaer) founded Schenectady on land he purchased from the Mohawk Indians. He was known for his fair dealings with the Indians, negotiating disputes and arranging for captives to be freed. The Hotel Van Curler was constructed in 1925 as part of a civic pride movement that developed at the height of Schenectady's most prosperous and optimistic period, the hotel is historically important as the first of five major Neoclassical public buildings erected in the city between 1925-1933. Its construction was financed by two of the city's major employers, The American Locomotive Company and the General Electric Company, the Chamber of Commerce and over 1,000 citizens. ALCo & GE contributed $300,000 between them toward the $700,000 needed for construction. The newly formed Chamber of Commerce raised almost $84,000 from its own members. The building and furnishings cost $1,100,000. The Hotel Van Curler, now
Hotel Van Curler - Now Schenectady County Community College image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, May 22, 2009
3. Hotel Van Curler - Now Schenectady County Community College
Elston Hall of Schenectady county Community College, opened in 1925 and was built at the apex of a thirty-five year period, 1890-1925, during which Schenectady was the fastest growing city in New York State. The hotel went bankrupt in February of 1968. Schenectady County subsequently bought the hotel buildings at public auction for $710,000. The Schenectady County Board of Representatives formed Schenectady County Community College on January 26, 1967 and then purchased the former Van Curler hotel which required renovations so that classes could commence in the building in 1969. The Van Curler would be renamed Elston Hall after Charles W. Elston, the long standing, original board member and eight-year chairperson for the Schenectady County Board of Representatives.
 
Additional keywords. SCCC
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
The Former Hotel Van Curler - SCCC, Seen from a Distance in Schenectady image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, May 15, 2009
4. The Former Hotel Van Curler - SCCC, Seen from a Distance in Schenectady
Hotel Van Curler Post Card image. Click for full size.
Collection of Joe Connor
5. Hotel Van Curler Post Card
Hotel Van Curler Post Card image. Click for full size.
Collection of Joe Connor
6. Hotel Van Curler Post Card
Hotel Van Curler Post Card image. Click for full size.
Collection of Joe Connor
7. Hotel Van Curler Post Card
"Aeroplane View of Hotel Van Curler and the Great Western Gateway Bridge"
The bridge shown in the postcard was originally built in 1923-25 but no longer exists as it was replaced in 1971. The water behind the hotel, the Binniekill, was an arm of the Mohawk River and a Barge Canal Terminal. The Binnekill has been filled in to join Van Slyck Island to the mainland for use as parking and athletic fields.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 719 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement