“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Piney Woods in Rankin County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)

The Piney Woods School

The Piney Woods School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jeff Lovorn, September 11, 2011
1. The Piney Woods School Marker
Inscription. Founded in 1909, by Dr. Laurence Clifton Jones, who came to Mississippi to further the education of the African American community. The Piney Woods School wonce housed the Mississippi Colored School for the Blind. Dr. Jones presided over the school until 1974, and died in 1975
Erected 2011 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Location. 32° 3.659′ N, 89° 59.847′ W. Marker is in Piney Woods, Mississippi, in Rankin County. Marker is on Piney Woods Drive, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Piney Woods MS 39148, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Piney Woods School (here, next to this marker); Martha Louise Morrow Foxx (here, next to this marker); Faith Hill (approx. 3.6 miles away); Westville, Mississippi (approx. 13.7 miles away).
Categories. African AmericansEducation
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jeff Lovorn of Florence, Mississippi. This page has been viewed 350 times since then and 53 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Jeff Lovorn of Florence, Mississippi. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement