“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Brandon in Rankin County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)

Old Brandon Cemetery

Old Brandon Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jeff Lovorn, August 30, 2011
1. Old Brandon Cemetery Marker
Inscription. Established in the 1830s, the old Brandon cemetery contains more than 1,000 graves, including two Mississippi governors, Robert Lowry (1881-1889) and Anselm McLaurin (1896-1900). Also buried here is postmaster and surveyor Thomas Shaw, educator Miss Frank Johnson, and Susie Blue Buchanan, a pioneering female attorney.
Erected 2006 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Location. 32° 16.545′ N, 89° 59.485′ W. Marker is in Brandon, Mississippi, in Rankin County. Marker is on Old Depot Road, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brandon MS 39042, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Seminary Square (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Gold Coast: Cross the River (approx. 9.9 miles away); Fortenberry-Parkman Farm (approx. 10.6 miles away); Eudora Welty House (approx. 10.8 miles away); Merci Train Memorial (approx. 11.1 miles away); Union Battery Position (approx. 11.1 miles away); Carter Jewelers (approx. 11.1 miles away); The Eagle and Bowman Hotels (approx. 11.1 miles away).
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial Sites
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jeff Lovorn of Florence, Mississippi. This page has been viewed 417 times since then and 58 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Jeff Lovorn of Florence, Mississippi. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photograph of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement