“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Waverly Hall in Harris County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)

Waverly Hall

Waverly Hall Marker Post image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
1. Waverly Hall Marker Post
Inscription. This town was named by its first postmaster. William Osborne, appointed February 2, 1829. In 1827, Mt. Zion Methodist Church was built 1 ½ miles E. on the Old Indian Trail and Stagecoach Road from the Flint River via Talbotton and Waverly Hall to the Chattahoochee River. In 1896 the church was moved into town. Near here was the “Foster School” taught by William Foster and James G. Calhoun, which attracted boarding students from Georgia and Alabama. I. H. Pitts & Sons, established in 1869, was the first mercantile establishment in Harris County and one of the first in the area. The Baptist Church was organized in 1893, Rev. J. W. Cline, pastor.
Erected by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 072-2.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 32° 41.351′ N, 84° 44.031′ W. Marker was in Waverly Hall, Georgia, in Harris County. Marker was at the intersection of Georgia Route 208 and Warm Springs Road (Georgia Route 85), on the right when traveling west on State Route 208. Click for map. Marker was in this post office area: Waverly Hall GA 31831, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
Waverly Hall Marker Post image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
2. Waverly Hall Marker Post
Looking west on Georgia Highway 208, with Georgia Highway 85 in the distance
At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Lucy Laney Elementary School (approx. one mile away); The Wire Road (approx. 5.6 miles away); Kingsboro & Cataula (approx. 8.2 miles away); Valley of Hope (approx. 9.1 miles away); Pine Mountain Valley Resettlement Project (approx. 9.2 miles away); Hamilton Female College (approx. 9.2 miles away); Richard Christmas (approx. 9.3 miles away); B. F. White (approx. 9.5 miles away).
More about this marker. The marker was observed standing in 2003. Text for the missing marker was taken from “Georgia Historical Markers” (Bay Tree Grove, Second Edition 1978) compiled by Carroll P. Scruggs from the records of the Georgia Historical Commission.
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 416 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement