“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Las Vegas in Clark County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)

Lorenzi Park


Lorenzi Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, June 4, 2008
1. Lorenzi Park Marker
Inscription. Lorenzi Lake, the dream of pioneer David G. Lorenzi, opened as a private resort in 1926, became the Twin Lakes Lodge in the 1940s, and a public park in 1966.

Arriving in southern Nevada in 1911, Lorenzi began building his park on 80 acres of raw land two miles northwest of downtown Las Vegas in the early 1920s. The "park" was mostly a grassy area with a swimming hole until the commercial opening in 1926. Lorenzi built two lakes and two islands, one with a band shell and the other a clubhouse. Rowboats, a dance pavilion, swimming pools, horse-back riding and picnic tables were all available for the 10-cent admission fee. Las Vegans flocked to Lorenzi Lake to enjoy music, dancing, spectacular special celebrations and relief from the heat in "Nevada's largest sanitary swimming pool." Celebrities and politicians staged events here, where the powerful rubbed shoulders with ordinary people.

Californian Thomas Sharp bought the property in 1937 and improved its water supply but let the resort run down. He later leased it to Las Vegan Lloyd St. John who renamed it Twin Lakes Lodge, restored the park, and added a motel. Throughout the 1950s, the motel buildings served as part of a dude ranch, a temporary home for divorce seekers required by state law to live in Nevada for at least six weeks. The city acquired the Twin
Lorenzi Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, September 26, 2011
2. Lorenzi Park Marker
Lakes Lodge property in 1966, later combined the lakes, filled the swimming pool to create the Sammy Davis, Jr. Festival Plaza and donated the land for the Nevada State Museum and Historical Society. In 2005, some of the old motel buildings still exist at the northwest corner of the park. (Marker Number 2.)
Location. 36° 10.757′ N, 115° 11.263′ W. Marker is in Las Vegas, Nevada, in Clark County. Marker is on Twin Lakes Drive 0.1 miles south of West Washington Avenue, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is just inside the entrance to the park. Marker is in this post office area: Las Vegas NV 89107, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Padre Francisco GarcÚs (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Twin Lakes Lodge (about 600 feet away); Las Vegas Springs (approx. 0.7 miles away); a different marker also named Las Vegas Springs (approx. 0.7 miles away); Binion House (approx. one mile away); Kim Produce Farm (approx. 1.2 miles away); First Water Company (approx. 1.4 miles away); Old Well Tower #10 (approx. 1.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Las Vegas.
Regarding Lorenzi Park. This is site #2 on the Pioneer Trail. Noted on marker: The Pioneer Trail
Photo on Lorenzi Park Marker image. Click for full size.
3. Photo on Lorenzi Park Marker
celebrates the early history of Las Vegas, offering a glimpse of the people and places that made Las Vegas thrive.

The park is listed on the City of Las Vegas Historic Property Register.

The following text is from a missing 2005 Centennial Marker:
Twin Lakes Resort
Trusting in the growth of the new community of Las Vegas, David G. Lorenzi purchased 80 acres two miles northwest of town. An energetic entrepreneur, Lorenzi cleared the land, dug wells and planted a variety of crops. Throughout the 1920's and 30's, he developed the land as a resort and provided Las Vegans with a swimming pool, concert venue, dance hall, July 4th celebrations, horse races, rodeos and twin lakes for boating and fishing. In 1947, new owners Lloyd St. John and son Richard built eight motel buildings in the northwest section of the park, which included ties from the Tonopah & Tidewater Railroad. In the 1950's, Twin Lakes Lodge was a complete dude ranch for the thriving marriage and divorce business of Las Vegas. It was a temporary home to many movie stars, as well as scientists during the building of the Nevada Test Site. In 1965, the City of Las Vegas purchased the 80 acres for $750,000 for park and recreation purposes.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. The Pioneer Trail - West Las Vegas
Lorenzi Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, September 26, 2011
4. Lorenzi Park Marker

Also see . . .  Pioneer Trail Brochure. The Pioneer Trail is the vision of the West Las Vegas community that wanted to celebrate the history of West Las Vegas and the early pioneers that settled the area and contributed to its culture and heritage. A community group was formed to interview long-time residents and research the history of the area. The result was an extensive oral history collection and access to photographic archives that wove a tale of dreams realized and lost, civil rights victories, speakeasies and the development of a strong community, ethnically diverse and culturally rich. (Submitted on December 7, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California.) 
Categories. Notable Places
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 843 times since then and 87 times this year. Last updated on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California.   2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement