“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
La Salle in La Salle County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)

La Salle-Peru, Illinois

La Salle-Peru, Illinois Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, December 21, 2011
1. La Salle-Peru, Illinois Marker
Inscription. The story of the twin cities of LaSalle and Peru is closely interwoven with the history of the Illinois River and the Illinois and Michigan Canal. In 1673, Jacques Marquette and Louis Jolliet passed through this area by way of the Illinois River enroute to Lake Michigan. The explorer Robert Cavelier, Sieur de LaSalle, also came through here in 1680, and in 1682-83. His Lieutenant Henri de Tonti erected Fort St. Louis at Starved Rock to the east, now a state park.

Jolliet first noted the desirability of a canal connecting Lake Michigan to the Mississippi via the Illinois. In 1825 the Illinois and Michigan Canal Association was incorporated and in 1836 the Internal Improvement Act which included a provision for a north-south railroad through Illinois was passed by the legislature. The convergence of these important transportation facilities in this area encouraged further settlement. Peru, organized in 1834, was incorporated in 1838. Activity eventually shifted to LaSalle, since the boat basin of the canal and the railroad routes were finally located there. Settled as early as 1830, LaSalle was not incorporated until 1852.

Construction on the canal was begun in 1836 and completed in 1848. It extended from the Chicago River to LaSalle-Peru and was an important trade link for thirty years. Two railroads, completed to
Pulaski Park image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, December 21, 2011
2. Pulaski Park
LaSalle in the 1850s eventually replaced the canal in importance and the emphasis in the twin cities gradually shifted from transportation to mining and industry.
Erected 1988 by Illinois Department of Transportation and the Illinois State Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Illinois State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 41° 19.981′ N, 89° 5.479′ W. Marker is in La Salle, Illinois, in La Salle County. Marker is on 5th Street (U.S. 6) west of Crosat Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Located in Pulaski Park. Marker is in this post office area: La Salle IL 61301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dr. Paul Carus / Dr. Daisetz Teitaru Suzuki (approx. 0.3 miles away); LaSalle City Hall-1906 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Cherry Mine Disaster (approx. 9.2 miles away); James Butler "Wild Bill" Hickok (approx. 9.2 miles away); Isam W. Seaton (1823-1903) and James H. Seaton (1828-1913) (approx. 9.8 miles away).
Also see . . .  History - Development of the Illinois Valley. City of LaSalle (Submitted on December 29, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 635 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement