Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Diego in San Diego County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

El Desembarcadero

 
 
Site of Desembarcadero Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, December 9, 2007
1. Site of Desembarcadero Marker
Inscription. A landing near this point was used on May 1, 1769, by men from the San Antonio and San Carlos to bring fresh water from the San Diego River close by to the anchorage in the bay. For almost a century the landing and channel were used by freight and passenger boats between Old Town and points on the bay. Romance was added to the site when Josepha Carrillo and Henry Delano Fitch eloped for Chile from the landing on April 16, 1829. Silt from river overflows limited use of the old landing later in the century, though high tides went to Rosecrans Street until 1923. During construction of the Naval Training Station ("Center" after 1944) the site and channel were buried by nine feet of fill.
 
Erected 1996 by State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the U.S. Navy and Squibob Chapter, E Clampus Vitus. (Marker Number 64.)
 
Location. 32° 44.054′ N, 117° 13.206′ W. Marker is in San Diego, California, in San Diego County. Marker is on Farragut Road east of Rosecrans Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2969 Farragut Road, San Diego CA 92106, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the
El Desembarcadero Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, December 9, 2007
2. El Desembarcadero Marker
crow flies. North Chapel, Building 208 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Command Center, Building 200 (approx. 0.4 miles away); USS Recruit (approx. half a mile away); Gun Platform No. 1 - 1945 (approx. half a mile away); Ingram Plaza (approx. half a mile away); Gun Platform No. 2 - 1945 (approx. half a mile away); Spanish Landing (approx. 0.8 miles away); Chinese Fishing and Shipbuilding Site (approx. 1.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in San Diego.
 
Regarding El Desembarcadero. El Desembarcadero was one of the first landmarks designated during the first year of the landmark program. The site was recognized as the landing place for small boats carrying freight and passengers to Old San Diego. It was also believed to be the place visited in 1769 by the crews of the San Antonio and San Carlos in their search for fresh water. SOURCE: California Historical Landmarks, California State Parks
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceWaterways & Vessels
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 367 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California.   2. submitted on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement