Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pala in San Diego County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

La Asistencia de San Antonio de Pala

 
 
La Asistencia de San Antonio de Pala Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, August 11, 2007
1. La Asistencia de San Antonio de Pala Marker
Inscription. Notable for its bell-tower or campanile. The chapel was built by Father Peyri, 1816. Almost destroyed by earthquake and storm. But later restored. Indians are still at Pala.
 
Erected by Department of Public Works - Division of Highways. (Marker Number 243.)
 
Location. 33° 21.836′ N, 117° 4.551′ W. Marker is in Pala, California, in San Diego County. Marker is on State Highway 76 at milepost 23.6 west of Brittian Road, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. The Mission grounds are located approximately 4 blocks north of the marker. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11896 California 76, Pala CA 92059, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mission San Antonio de Pala (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Great Oak (approx. 5.5 miles away); Heart o' the Hills (approx. 8.8 miles away); First National Bank (approx. 9.9 miles away); Jacob Bergman (approx. 12.1 miles away); Daley Ranch (approx. 12.7 miles away); Guajome Ranch House (approx. 13.7 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. San Antonio de Pala Asistencia. (Submitted on January 15, 2012.)
2. Mission San Antonio de Pala History
La Asistencia de San Antonio de Pala Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, August 11, 2007
2. La Asistencia de San Antonio de Pala Marker
. (Submitted on January 15, 2012.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Native Americans
 
Asistencia de San Antonio Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, August 11, 2007
3. Asistencia de San Antonio Marker
Entrance Sign at 3015 Pala Mission Road image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, August 11, 2007
4. Entrance Sign at 3015 Pala Mission Road
San Antonio de Pala
Founded Anno 1816
La Asistencia de San Antonio de Pala image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, August 11, 2007
5. La Asistencia de San Antonio de Pala
Mission Building and El Camino Real Bell image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, August 11, 2007
6. Mission Building and El Camino Real Bell
El Camino Real Bell image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, August 11, 2007
7. El Camino Real Bell
Mission San Antonio de Pala image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, August 11, 2007
8. Mission San Antonio de Pala
Founded in 1816 by Fr. Antonio Peyri, O.F.M. as an Asistencia (Sub-Mission) to the larger Mission San Luis Rey. This mission was very prosperous. It received more than 1300 Indian converts until the beginning of its decline after secularization by the Mexican government in 1846 and the church buildings fell into disrepair. Partially restored in 1903, the restoration of the original quadrangle was completed in 1959. The mission is the only one of the original California missions still ministering to the Native American people. The chapel and museum wing are original. Extensive restoration of the chapel was made necessary in 1992 because of termite damage which weakened the roof.
Mission Chapel and Museum image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, August 11, 2007
9. Mission Chapel and Museum
The church has historical Indian paintings and the original floor... The museum is housed in the original west wing of the Mission and has a rich display of old Indian artifacts, statues and important relics that were in the church when it was founded in 1816 by Father Antonio Peyri.
Mission Chapel image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, August 11, 2007
10. Mission Chapel
Mission of San Antonio de Pala image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, August 11, 2007
11. Mission of San Antonio de Pala
Officially founded at Pala on 13 June 1816, this mission has become the mother church of Catholicism at Cahuiilla, La Jolla, Pauma, Pichanga, Rincon, Santa Rosa, and Temecula in Southern California. Consequently, on this 180th anniversary, the Alhambrans of Ben Ziri Caravan, No. 218, are happy to recognize this mission as a Catholic historical site.

Erected in 1996 by the International Order of Alhambrans.
The Tower image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, August 11, 2007
12. The Tower
The original Bell Tower is a copy of the tower in Ciudad Juarez, Chi., Mexico. It is unusual in being completely detached form the church building. The two bells were cast in Mexico. The larger bell is dedicated to St. Francis St. Luis the King, St. Clare, and St. Eulalia. It names the marker as Cervantes. The smaller bell bears a dedication to Jesus and Mary.
Pala Campanile image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, August 11, 2007
13. Pala Campanile
Pala Campanile image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, August 11, 2007
14. Pala Campanile
Pala Campanile image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, August 11, 2007
15. Pala Campanile
Bell Tower
Restored, Dec. 1998
Funded by California State Questers
and the Live Oak Chapter, Fallbrook

Pala Campanile
Built by
Padre Antonio Peyri
A.D. 1816
Destroyed by Flood Waters of Storm
January, A.D. 1916
Restored with Original Material
Exact Reproduction
Rev. George Doyle
April, A.D. 1916
The Bells image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, August 11, 2007
16. The Bells
The bells are rung only on Sundays to summon the Faithful to Mass, funerals, weddings, to notify the local people of a death in the community, and in emergencies. Visitors are asked to refrain from attempting to ring the bells out of respect for the local custom.
The Lower Bell image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, August 11, 2007
17. The Lower Bell
The Cactus image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, August 11, 2007
18. The Cactus
Atop the Bell Tower, the visitor will notice a cactus. A legend says that Fr. Peyri climbed the tower in 1816 to place a cross atop it to indicate that the construction of the Mission was now complete. he then planted a tiny cactus at the foot of the cross to symbolize that Christ would conquer the desert, not only of Southern California, but also of the human heart and soul.
Cactus at the Top of the Bell Tower image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, August 11, 2007
19. Cactus at the Top of the Bell Tower
The Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, August 11, 2007
20. The Cemetery
This is the original Mission cemetery. Here are buried the remains of hundreds of Native American converts to Catholicism as well as other early California pioneers.
The Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, August 11, 2007
21. The Cemetery
St. Anthony of Padua image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, August 11, 2007
22. St. Anthony of Padua
Unlike many such statues you see at other churches and Missions, this one depicts St. Anthony as a person of color.
Jesus Christ - Sculpture Locaated on the Grounds image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, August 11, 2007
23. Jesus Christ - Sculpture Locaated on the Grounds
Asistencia de San Antonio image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, August 11, 2007
24. Asistencia de San Antonio
Asistencia de San Antonio Mural image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, August 11, 2007
25. Asistencia de San Antonio Mural
Historical Jailhouse image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, August 11, 2007
26. Historical Jailhouse
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 610 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California.   4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26. submitted on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of the Mission Chapel • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement