Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Campo in San Diego County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Campo Stone Store

 
 
Campo Stone Store Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, April 5, 2009
1. Campo Stone Store Marker
Inscription. The pioneer Gaskill brothers of 1868 built a frame store which was raided on December 4, 1875, by border bandits. This fort-like replacement of summer, 1885, was bought in 1896 by E.T. Aiken, resold to Klauber Wangenheim, 1889, and operated by Henry Marcus Johnson as the Mountain Commercial Company until 1925. In disrepair, it was bought after 1938 by E.M. Statler, given to San Diego County, and restored, 1943-48, as a museum.
 
Erected 1986 by State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the San Deigo County Department of Parks and Recreation and Squibob Chapter, E Clampus Vitus. (Marker Number 411.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus, and the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
 
Location. 32° 36.542′ N, 116° 28.466′ W. Marker is in Campo, California, in San Diego County. Marker is on Campo Road (California Route 94 at milepost 50.6), on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 130 Campo Road, Campo CA 91906, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hatfield – The Rainmaker (approx. 6.1 miles away); Buckman Springs
Campo Stone Store Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, April 5, 2009
2. Campo Stone Store Marker
(approx. 10.3 miles away).
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
Campo Stone Store image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, April 5, 2009
3. Campo Stone Store
Campo Stone Store image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, April 5, 2009
4. Campo Stone Store
Old Campo Store image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, April 18, 2009
5. Old Campo Store
Dedicated to
the Pioneers of San Diego County
Built in 1868 by L.H. and S.E. Gaskill
Historic Stone Store - Post Office
Bank and Stage Station
Scene of Famous Bandit Raid December 5, 1875
Donor - Ellsworth M. Statler
Restored by
San Diego County Board of Supervisors 1943-48
California State Historical Association
San Diego Historical Society
Sons and Daughters of the Golden West
May 9, 1948
Campo Road (California Route 94) image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, April 5, 2009
6. Campo Road (California Route 94)
Campo Road (California Route 94) image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, April 5, 2009
7. Campo Road (California Route 94)
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 462 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California.   2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement