Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Oceanside in San Diego County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Santa Margarita Ranch

 
 
Santa Margarita Ranch Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
1. Santa Margarita Ranch Marker
Inscription. In July, 1769, the Portola Expedition named this area for St. Margaret of Antioch. The Mission San Luis Rey 1827 inventories list a small building in the area. In 1841, Rancho Santa Margarita y San Onofre was granted to Andres and Pio Pico, the last governor of Alta California. Land magnate, Don Juan Forster, owned the rancho from 1864-1882. Richard O'Neill and James Flood purchased 205,000 acres in 1882. The ranch house stop served the 1882 transcontinental California Southern Railroad. In 1942, President Franklin D. Roosevelt dedicated Marine Corps Base Camp Joseph H. Pendleton. The railroad line continued as a vital military transportation link before devastation by the 1993 flood.
 
Erected 1998 by State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the United States Marine Corps and the Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus, Squibob Chapter. (Marker Number 1026.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Juan Caspar de Portolá Expedition marker series.
 
Location. 33° 18.486′ N, 117° 20.479′ W. Marker is in Oceanside, California, in San Diego County. Marker is on Vandegrift Boulevard, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is located on
Santa Margarita Ranch Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
2. Santa Margarita Ranch Marker
the Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton. Marker is in this post office area: Oceanside CA 92058, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. El Camino Real Bell (approx. 4 miles away); Walled Garden (approx. 5.2 miles away); Mission San Luís Rey de Francia (approx. 5.4 miles away); Retreat Hell! (approx. 6.3 miles away); Boys of '45 (approx. 6.3 miles away); Las Flores Adobe (approx. 6.7 miles away); Las Flores Asistencia (approx. 6.9 miles away); Alligator Marines (approx. 7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Oceanside.
 
Also see . . .
1. Richard O'Neill (1824 - 1910) - Fina A Grave Memorial. (Submitted on January 8, 2012, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California.)
2. Joseph H. Pendleton (1860 - 1942) - Find A Grave Memorial. (Submitted on January 8, 2012, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California.)
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsRailroads & Streetcars
 
Ranch House Chapel image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
3. Ranch House Chapel
Battle of San Pasqual Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
4. Battle of San Pasqual Marker
Beneath a nearby sycamore tree,
two of Andres Pico's officers,
Leonardo Cota and Jose Alipas,
planned their successful strategy
against the American forces
they battled at San Pasqual on
December 6, 1846
Ranch House Chapel image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
5. Ranch House Chapel
Ranch House Chapel image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
6. Ranch House Chapel
Ranch House Chapel image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
7. Ranch House Chapel
Ranch House Chapel image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
8. Ranch House Chapel
This Building is for the Worship
of all Denominations.
It is Dedicated to the Uplift of
the Human Spirit; the Enrichment
of Human Character and Personality:
and in grateful memory of those
who made its restoration and
equipment possible.
Ranch House Chapel Fountain image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
9. Ranch House Chapel Fountain
Ranch House Chapel (east side) image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
10. Ranch House Chapel (east side)
Santa Margarita Ranch image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
11. Santa Margarita Ranch
With these tiles
Funds were raised to
rebuild the Ranch House Chapel.
Thanks to the Dedication
of the Skilled Craftsmen of
Facilities Maintenance Dept,
Volunteers, Docents and Friends
After the January 1993
Santa Margarita River Flood
Santa Margarita Ranch image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
12. Santa Margarita Ranch
Ranch House Chapel Bell Tower (east side) image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
13. Ranch House Chapel Bell Tower (east side)
Santa Margarita Ranch image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
14. Santa Margarita Ranch
El Camino Real Bell image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
15. El Camino Real Bell
Arch and Bell Entrance image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
16. Arch and Bell Entrance
Santa Margarita Ranch image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
17. Santa Margarita Ranch
Santa Margarita Ranch image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
18. Santa Margarita Ranch
Flood-O'Neill Brand (1882-1941) image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
19. Flood-O'Neill Brand (1882-1941)
Santa Margarita Ranch image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
20. Santa Margarita Ranch
Santa Margarita Ranch image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
21. Santa Margarita Ranch
Santa Margarita Ranch House image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
22. Santa Margarita Ranch House
Santa Margarita Ranch House image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
23. Santa Margarita Ranch House
Santa Margarita Ranch House image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
24. Santa Margarita Ranch House
President's Room image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
25. President's Room
Originally the site of the family chapel, this room once contained an altar near the present fireplace where visiting priests celebrated mass. The room was the focal point of religious life for those who lived here.

This room was later used as a dining room, with food being carried in silver dishes on large trays from the kitchen. When the dining area was moved to its present location in 1938, the room became the bedroom of Richard O'Neill, Jr. The adjoining room's patio door was sealed and the wall between the rooms cut through to make a bath for this bedroom. The bed, which once had a straw mattress, was bought by the O'Neill's at an auction. The kneeler standing against the north wall is perhaps the house's oldest piece of furniture. It reflects the piety of the early Californians.

As president Roosevelt passed through the old adobe ranch house on dedication day, he paused in the room now known as the President's Room. Taken by its charm, he remarked with a smile, "Reserve this room for the next ex-President of the United States". From that day, the room was called "The President's Room", but it never lived up to its designation until 1969 when President Richard M. Nixon was inaugurated; he had slept in the room May 9, 1966 as guest of Major General Robert E. Cushman, then Base Commander.
Santa Margarita Ranch House image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
26. Santa Margarita Ranch House
Bathroom image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
27. Bathroom
Kneeler image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
28. Kneeler
Santa Margarita Ranch House image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
29. Santa Margarita Ranch House
President's Room image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
30. President's Room
Wooden Porch Swing image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
31. Wooden Porch Swing
Mounted Buffalo Head image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
32. Mounted Buffalo Head
The Bar image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
33. The Bar
The Bar image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
34. The Bar
This room was actually a working room on the ranch, serving both as a butchering room and meat aging area. The hooks from which the beef hung are still in evidence.

The bar was installed in the 1940's when the ranch house was being used as an officer's club.

The retaining wall seen through the outside door was constructed by Don Juan Forester in the 1860's and has many times protected the ranch hose from the rampaging flood waters of the Santa Margarita River. The patio below was used as a clothes drying area and also was the home of several pet peacocks.
Meat Hooks image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
35. Meat Hooks
Branding Irons image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
36. Branding Irons
These branding irons from the historic Rancho Mission Viejo and Rancho Santa Margarita symbolize both the rich heritage of the land and the dedication of its owners to uphold the ways of their forefathers.

The O'Neill Family, as owners of Rancho Mission Viejo, are pleased to present present these branding irons for display in the ranch house of the Rancho Santa Margarita, Camp Pendleton November 17, 1978,
Flood-O'Neill Brand (1882-1941) image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
37. Flood-O'Neill Brand (1882-1941)
Painting image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
38. Painting
Santa Margarita Ranch House image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
39. Santa Margarita Ranch House
Santa Margarita Ranch House image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
40. Santa Margarita Ranch House
Caballero Painting image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
41. Caballero Painting
by Grant Powers U.S.M.C. 1944
Franklin Delano Roosevelt image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
42. Franklin Delano Roosevelt
In Commemoration of
President
Franklin Delano Roosevelt
This plaque serves to commemorate an event of historical importance, when in the summer of 1944 President Franklin Delano Roosevelt visiting the Marine Base at Camp Pendleton, California, on a special mission telephoned the Democratic National Convention in Chicago, Illinois and requested to speak with Senator Harry S. Truman of Missouri. President Roosevelt said, "Harry, I want you to be my Vice President." Senator Truman accepted and one year later, on the Death of President Roosevelt, was sworn in as the 33rd President of the United States of America.

Presented: January 1987
by: San Diego County Democratic Party
Santa Margarita Ranch House image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
43. Santa Margarita Ranch House
Presented to
Lieutenant General & Mrs. J.C. Munn on occasion of their retirement from the United States Marine Corps
Camp Pendleton, California
30 June, 1964
Major General Joseph H. Pendleton image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
44. Major General Joseph H. Pendleton
Santa Margarita Ranch House image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
45. Santa Margarita Ranch House
Santa Margarita Ranch House image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
46. Santa Margarita Ranch House
Pio Pico image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
47. Pio Pico
Andreas Pico image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
48. Andreas Pico
Don Juan Forester image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
49. Don Juan Forester
Hall image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
50. Hall
Part of the earliest structure, this area was actually the living room during Don Juan Forester's time. The large wardrobe in the hall was left by the Baumgartner Family in 1942.

The tinted glass framing both the veranda and patio entrances is characteristic of the decor in the mid 19th Century.

The portrait over the fireplace is of Pio Pico and on its right is one of his soldier--brother, Andreas Pico.
Bathroom image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
51. Bathroom
Bedroom image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
52. Bedroom
Santa Margarita Ranch House image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
53. Santa Margarita Ranch House
Santa Margarita Ranch image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
54. Santa Margarita Ranch
Jerome O'Neill at Ranch House,
1924-1925. On West Porch
Donated by Alice Avery
Santa Margarita Ranch image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
55. Santa Margarita Ranch
Jerome O'Neill at Ranch House,
1924-1925. On West Porch
Donated by Alice Avery
Flood-O'Neill Brand (1882-1941) image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
56. Flood-O'Neill Brand (1882-1941)
Pio Pico image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
57. Pio Pico
Santa Margarita Ranch House image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
58. Santa Margarita Ranch House
Arch and Bell Entrance image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
59. Arch and Bell Entrance
Santa Margarita Ranch House Bell image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
60. Santa Margarita Ranch House Bell
It is not known where the Santa Margarita Ranch House bell was cast or in what year it was first hung in the arch on the front porch of the ranch house.

It has been suggested that it may have been brought to California from Spain or Mexico by the Franciscan Missionaries or it may have been a ship's bell from one of the sailing vessels that visited the California coast in the early 1800's.

For over a century it played an important role in the daily routine of the Santa Margarita Ranch. Each morning at 5:00 A.M. it rang an awakening call at which time all hands turned out to groom and feed the many horses needed for the operation of the ranch - at 6:00 A.M. it rang breakfast call - at 12:00 noon lunch call and finally at 6:00 P.M. dinner call.

At no other time was it rung except as an alarm in an emergency such as fire.

The only exceptions to the above were when it was tolled upon the death of Richard O'Neill Sr. in 1910 and upon the deaths of James Flood II and Jerome O'Neill in 1926.

The bell was taken from the ranch house in 1942 by the Baumgartner Family as a memento and kept at the ranches of John J. Baumgartner, Jr. in San Benito and Santa Clara Counties until 1874 when it was returned to the Santa Margarita Ranch House by Elizabeth Balmgartner Yates, John J. Baumgartner, Jr. and Herome O. Baumgartner.
Santa Margarita Ranch image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
61. Santa Margarita Ranch
Santa Margarita Ranch image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
62. Santa Margarita Ranch
Santa Margarita Ranch House (south side) image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
63. Santa Margarita Ranch House (south side)
El Camino Real Bell image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
64. El Camino Real Bell
Bunkhouse Museum image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
65. Bunkhouse Museum
11 June 1978
Opening of the
Rancho Santa Margarita Los Flores
Bunkhouse Museum
Dedicated by Mr. James. Roosevelt
and
Major General Carl W. Hoffman
Barbed Wire Display image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
66. Barbed Wire Display
1. Frentress     Split Diamond       1875
2. Hodge          Spur & Rowell      1887
3. Allis             Buckthorn            1881
4. Kelly's          Diamond Point     1868
5. Brinkerhoff    Flat Line              1881
6. Brinkerhoff    Twisted Flat Line  1879
7. Scutts          Arrow Plate          1876
Barbed Wire Display image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
67. Barbed Wire Display
Barbed Wire Display image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
68. Barbed Wire Display
To many people, barbed wire symbolizes the end of the open range and the change in the structure of the "Old West". in 1873, the passage of the California "Fence Law" marked the end of the long battle between ranchers and farmers. This law required that all ranches be fenced to give farmers' crop protection from the cattle. For the ranchers, it was a costly law. It took Don Juan Forster many months of labor to fence the Rancho Santa Margarita in addition to the $40,000 needed for the wire and nails.

Although the ranchers didn't like the law, it marked the beginning of modernization. Selective breeding was introduced, round-ups took less time and less people, and grazing could be controlled efficiently. Looked on as a "mixed blessing" in it's beginning, barbed wire truly revolutionized the "Old West".
Bunkhouse Museum image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
69. Bunkhouse Museum
Bunkhouse Museum image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
70. Bunkhouse Museum
Bunkhouse Museum image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
71. Bunkhouse Museum
Bunkhouse Museum image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
72. Bunkhouse Museum
Bunkhouse Museum image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
73. Bunkhouse Museum
The Tomaino Room image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
74. The Tomaino Room
Dedicated 16 May 1981
by Major General K.L. Robinson
and
Suzanna and Don Tomaino
Sing Young image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
75. Sing Young
Sing was a cook at the Santa Margarita for more than 30 years - preparing three meals a day, seven days a week, for the work crew - 35 or more at some seasons of year - plus the O'Neill family table. He retired in the early 1920's to go back to his native China.
Santa Margarita Ranch image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
76. Santa Margarita Ranch
Bedroom image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
77. Bedroom
This room was renovated
by Major and Mrs. George S. Bowman
December 1971
Bedroom image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
78. Bedroom
Bedspread (c. 1848) and Canopy image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
79. Bedspread (c. 1848) and Canopy
Donated by
the Marine Corps Officers' Wives Club
for use in the Bunkhouse Museum
11 Jun 1978
Pleistocene Era Bone image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
80. Pleistocene Era Bone
"This bone was discovered by a contractor during construction of I-5 in November 1966. Subsequent research by Dr. Savage of the University of Southern California positively identified the bone as a right femur from either a mammuthus Columbia or mammuthus Jefferson (extinct elephant). The bone weighs 60 lbs. These two species of elephants lived in the middle and late Pleistocene era (1 million years ago). They were as large or larger than the existing bull elephant, and were approximately 12 feet high at the Shoulders"
Pleistocene Era Bone image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
81. Pleistocene Era Bone
Las Flores Estancia Bell image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
82. Las Flores Estancia Bell
This bell once hung at the Estancia at Las Flores, summoning neophytes to worship. In the 1860's it was taken to Mission San Juan Capistrano where it rang for weddings until a piece broke off.

It was returned to Camp Pendleton in 1943 and hung at the Arch and Bell entrance. In 1974 the original Rancho Santa Margarita bell was returned to its place of honor by the Baumgartner family, and this bell was then placed in the museum.
Las Flores Estancia Bell image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
83. Las Flores Estancia Bell
Taper Dipper and Dipping Vat image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
84. Taper Dipper and Dipping Vat
Taper Dipper image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
85. Taper Dipper
Historic Ranchos of San Diego image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
86. Historic Ranchos of San Diego
Southern Railroad (1881) image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
87. Southern Railroad (1881)
The railroad on Camp Pendleton was originally built as part of the California Southern Railroad in 1881. Created to build economic success in Southern California this rail line began in National City and joined the main line at Colton. In 1891 and again in 1916, the railroad was washed out.
Santa Margarita Ranch image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 9, 2010
88. Santa Margarita Ranch
First built & used as an adobe winery for Mission San Luis Rey, this building was later used as temporary quarters for the Pico family, living quarters for the blacksmith, and as a tool shed. The Marine Corps has restored it as a chapel.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 1,584 times since then and 60 times this year. This page was the Marker of the Week Photos:   1. submitted on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California.   2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California.   6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62. submitted on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California.   63. submitted on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California.   64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88. submitted on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement