“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Columbus in Lowndes County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)


Waverley Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jeff Lovorn, December 6, 2011
1. Waverley Marker
Inscription. W. 5 mi. Built in 1852 by Col. Geo. H. Young, who used own plant for gas lighting. In Civil War housed refugee girls from Memphis & New Orleans. Site of organization of National Fox Hunters Association.
Erected 1965 by Mississippi Historical Commission.
Location. 33° 33.794′ N, 88° 25.983′ W. Marker is near Columbus, Mississippi, in Lowndes County. Marker is at the intersection of Alternate U.S. 45 and State Highway 50, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 45Alternate . Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus MS 39705, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Waverly (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Henry Armstrong (approx. 3 miles away); Military Road (approx. 4 miles away); Joshua Lawrence Meador (approx. 4.3 miles away); S.D. Lee Home (approx. 4.4 miles away); James T. Harrison Home (approx. 4.4 miles away); Walter "Red" Barber (approx. 4.5 miles away); Baldwin Locomotive No. 601 (approx. 4.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbus.
Categories. War, US Civil
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jeff Lovorn of Florence, Mississippi. This page has been viewed 365 times since then and 75 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Jeff Lovorn of Florence, Mississippi. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on August 18, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker area. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement