Philadelphia in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
—Independence Hall National Historical Park —
The Exchange has been called architect William Strickland’s “Philadelphia Masterpiece.” Strickland, who broke with British traditions and became a leader in Greek Revival architecture, also designed the Second Bank of the United States on Chestnut Street, and the Tennessee state capitol in Nashville.
The Philadelphia Exchange has been restored on the exterior only. The building is not open to the public.
“It is indeed a superb classic building, a credit to the skill of its architect, Mr. Strickland, . . . and a lasting monument of the enterprise and liberality of our Merchants, and an ornament to Philadelphia.” —Bricknell’s Counterfeit Detector, 1834.
Location. 39° 56.848′ N, 75° 8.735′ W. Marker is in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia County. Marker is on Dock Street near Walnut and South 3rd Streets, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. It is across the cobblestones to the right of the building. Marker is in this post office area: Philadelphia PA 19106, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The City Tavern (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hannah Callowhill Penn (about 400 feet away); Mechanics' Union of Trade Associations (about 400 feet away); Thomas Bond House (about 400 feet away); “Evangeline” (about 400 feet away); “Common Sense” (about 400 feet away); Fraunces Tavern (about 500 feet away); First Continental Congress (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Philadelphia.
More about this marker. Marker has an engraving captioned “View of the east side of the Philadelphia (Merchants’) Exchange in 1840” and a portrait
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. These are markers at the locations of Merchant Exchanges throughout the years. Today the Philadelphia Exchange is in Center City at 19th and Market Streets.
Also see . . . Philadelphia's Merchants Moved from Coffee House to Tavern to This “Temple of Commerce”. Excerpt: “The Exchange Room in the curved section of the building was remarkable. It had a mosaic floor, domed ceiling supported on marble columns, and frescoes on the walls and ceiling. The fresco painter was Nicola Monachesi who had executed frescoes in many of Philadelphia’s Roman Catholic churches. Real-estate dealing, auctions, and business transactions of all kinds took place in this room, where shipping reports and both local and from all over the world were posted. Inside the building was a post office. further, many marine insurance companies with names like the Delaware No. 3 had offices in the building. Architect Strickland retained an office for himself at the Exchange. Naturally some space was given over to a coffee shop.” (Submitted on January 1, 2012.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 372 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.