Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Defenses of Washington
On the high ground to the northeast stood Fort Whipple, a bastioned earthwork built early in 1863 to support the Arlington Line built in 1861. It had a perimeter of 640 yards and emplacements for 47 guns. After the War, Fort Whipple was maintained as a permanent military post. In 1880, the name was changed to Fort Myer in honor of General Albert J. Myer, former post commander and first Chief Signal Officer of the United States Army.
Erected 1965 by Arlington County, Virginia. (Marker Number 12.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Defenses of Washington marker series.
Location. 38° 52.895′ N, 77° 5.043′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker is at the intersection of Arlington Boulevard (U.S. 50) and North Pershing Drive, on the right when traveling east on Arlington Boulevard. Click for map. Marker is near the entrance to Fort Myer at North Pershing Drive. There is a pull-off at this marker. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington VA 22204, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 12th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Fort Myer Historic District (about 400 feet away); The Commander in Chief's Oak (about 400 feet away); Thomas Etholen Selfridge (about 500 feet away); Centennial of Military Aviation (about 500 feet away); Famous Firsts in Aeronautics at Fort Myer (about 500 feet away); First Flight of an Airplane on a U.S. Army Installation (about 500 feet away); John C. McKinney Memorial Stables (about 600 feet away).
More about this marker. In the center of the marker is a map of the Washington Defenses, with an arrow pointing out the location of Fort Whipple.
1. Fort Whipple Particulars
From "Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington," by Benjamin Franklin Cooling III and Walton H. Owen II:
The fort was named for Maj. Gen. Amiel Weeks Whipple who died of wounds received at the battle of Chancellorsville. The original works stood at the corner of Jackson and Grant Avenues (in front of Quarters No. 6) on Fort Myer.
The fort had a perimeter of 658 yards with positions for 43 guns. The inner structures included two magazines, two filling rooms, and several bomb-proofs. Quartermaster buildings stood behind the fort. Armament included four 12-pdr howitzers, six 12-pdr Napoleon guns, eleven 4.5-in siege rifles, and eight 12-pdr guns.
Units that garrisoned the fort during the war at different times included the 1st and 3rd Massachusetts Heavy Artillery, 145th Ohio Infantry, 10th New York Heavy Artillery, Company K - 1st New York Artillery, Company D - Maryland Light Artillery, Company C - 4th US Artillery, 2nd Connecticut Heavy Artillery, and Independent Battery I of the Pennsylvania Light Artillery.
— Submitted February 4, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 2,620 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on . 2. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 3. submitted on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of the site of Fort Whipple and the Gen. Myer monument there. • Can you help?