Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ventura in Ventura County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Olivas Adobe

1837

 
 
Olivas Adobe Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig
1. Olivas Adobe Marker
Inscription. The original small adobe on this site was built by Don Raimundo Olivas and his son, Nicolas, in 1837. The present structure was begun in 1847, with roof beams from the Santa Paula Canyon, and tiles made from native soil. Don Raimundo lived in this adobe until his death on February 24, 1879. The last owner of this property was Major Max C. Fleischmann. Two hundred and fifty acres were given to the City of Ventura by the Fleischmann Foundation of Nevada in 1963 for public use.
 
Erected 1973 by Poinsettia Parlor No. 318, Native Daughters of the Golden West.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
 
Location. 34° 14.619′ N, 119° 14.59′ W. Marker is in Ventura, California, in Ventura County. Marker can be reached from Olivas Park Drive, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is mounted on the adobe building at the Olivas Adobe Historic Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4200 Olivas Park Drive, Ventura CA 93001, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Olivas Adobe (a few steps from this marker); Ventura County Courthouse
Olivas Adobe image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig
2. Olivas Adobe
(approx. 3.9 miles away); San Buenaventura Mission Cross (approx. 4.1 miles away); Familia Diaz Cafe (approx. 12.9 miles away); Birthplace of Union Oil Company of California (approx. 13 miles away); Saint Francis Dam Disaster Memorial (approx. 13 miles away); Portolá Expedition (approx. 13.5 miles away).
 
Regarding Olivas Adobe. Joseph R. Knowland writes in California - A Landmark History, published in 1941:
Three miles from Ventura is the Olivas Adobe, well preserved. The building was constructed in the '40's. It is a pretentious two-story building built by Don Raymundo Olivas, who was born in Los Angeles in 1801. These were the days before birth control and twenty-one children were born to the Olivas family in his home. They were famous for lavish entertainment for which early Californians were noted. The owner was instrumental in putting down a Mission Indian insurrection.
 
Also see . . .  History of the Adobe. (Submitted on January 8, 2012, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California.)
 
Categories. Hispanic AmericansNotable BuildingsSettlements & Settlers
 
Olivas Adobe image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig
3. Olivas Adobe
Olivas Adobe Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig
4. Olivas Adobe Marker
This exhibit building is dedicated to Major Max C. Fleischman for his interest in developing this site for puiblic recreation and cultural preservation. The surrounding gardens and exhibit building have been made into a living museum for future generations to study the historical legacy of the San Buenaventura area.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 597 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California.   2, 3. submitted on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California.   4. submitted on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement