Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Diego in San Diego County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Boundary Marker Number 258

 
 
Boundary Marker Number 258 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, August 11, 2007
1. Boundary Marker Number 258 Marker
National Register Number: 1974000550
Inscription. Near this site the initial point of the boundary between the United States of America and the Republic of Mexico was established October 10, 1849.

Today, the flag of the United States of America is again raised to symbolize friendship between the peoples of the United States and Mexico and to commemorate the establishment of a State Park adjacent to this point on the International Border.
September 27, 1974
Boundary Marker Number 258 was placed
on the National Register of Historic
Places September 6, 1974

 
Erected 1974.
 
Location. 32° 32.073′ N, 117° 7.367′ W. Marker is in San Diego, California, in San Diego County. Marker can be reached from Monument Road. Click for map. The marker is located at Border Field State Park. Marker is in this post office area: San Diego CA 92154, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Montgomery Memorial (approx. 4.4 miles away); National City Depot (approx. 8.7 miles away); National City Historic Railcar Plaza (approx. 8.7 miles away); Dragon Tree (approx. 10.6 miles
Border Fence image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, August 11, 2007
2. Border Fence
away); Hotel del Coronado (approx. 10.6 miles away); Christmas Tree (approx. 10.6 miles away); Star Park (approx. 10.9 miles away); First Military Flying School (approx. 11.4 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Border Field State Park. At the very southwest corner of America is a monument marking the border between Mexico and California. When California became a territory at the end of the Mexican-American War, an international border became a necessity. American and Mexican survey crews determined the boundary and the monument of Italian marble was placed in 1851 to mark the original survey site. Today the monument stands in the shadow of the Tijuana Bull Ring and still delineates the border between the United States and Estádos Unídos Mexicanos. (Submitted on January 23, 2012.) 
 
Categories. Notable Places
 
Boundary Marker Number 258 (1894) image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, Boundary o
3. Boundary Marker Number 258 (1894)
NORTH FACE “Boundary of the United States. The destruction or displacement of this monument is a misdemeanor punishable in the United States or Mexico.”

WEST FACE “Initial point of Boundary between the United States and Mexico. Established by a joint commission on October A.D. 1848 agreeable to the Treaty dated at the City of Guadalupe-Hildago February 2 A.D. 1851. John B Weller U.S. Commissioner, Andrew B. Gray, U.S. Surveyor.”

EAST FACE “Reconstructed August 1894 by the International Boundary Commission operated by the conventions of 1882 and 1889.”
Boundary Marker Number 258 (1894) image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, August 11, 2007
4. Boundary Marker Number 258 (1894)
Border Field State Park image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, August 11, 2007
5. Border Field State Park
Border Field SP - Surveyor image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, August 11, 2007
6. Border Field SP - Surveyor
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 652 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement