Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Orleans in Orleans Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Bank of Louisiana in New Orleans

 
 
Bank of Louisiana in New Orleans Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, December 26, 2011
1. Bank of Louisiana in New Orleans Marker
Inscription. The original Bank of Louisiana in New Orleans was chartered by Governor Claiborne in 1804 and its board included Julien Poydras and John McDonogh. The bank was formed after the Louisiana to provide the currency for the citizens of Louisiana Purchase to replace the Spanish silver certificates used in the lower Mississippi Valley before the purchase.

In 1824, another Bank of Louisiana was chartered and included four branch facilities, including one in Baton Rouge. The main office was housed in an historic building which still stands at 344 Royal Street corner of Conti Street in the heart of the French Quarter, just six blocks to the north of this Bank of Louisiana. The bank was franchised by the Louisiana legislature to conduct the Louisiana Lottery and, for a while, the bank building served as the capitol for the State of Louisiana.

Another bank was established in New Orleans in 1833 known as the Citizen’s Bank of Louisiana which attained world wide recognition and became one of the largest banks in United States. Both bank of Louisiana chartered in 1824 and the Citizen’s Bank of Louisiana chartered in 1833 issued bank notes printed in boat English and French. The bank note for $10.00 bore “dix” from which the South acquired the name Dixie. On July 1, 1958, this Bank of Louisiana in New Orleans opened for
Bank of Louisiana in New Orleans Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, December 26, 2011
2. Bank of Louisiana in New Orleans Marker
business on Loyola Avenue corner of Gravier Street in the Central Business District. The main office moved to this location at 321 St. Charles Avenue, in 1982.

This plaque was dedicated on July 1, 1983 on the occasion of the celebration of the 25th anniversary of the Bank of Louisiana in New Orleans.

[Addition to the marker]
In February 1992 the Bank of Louisiana moved to this building at 300 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana.
 
Erected 1992 by Bank of Louisiana in New Orleans.
 
Location. 29° 57.073′ N, 90° 4.196′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker is at the intersection of Saint Charles Avenue and Gravier Street on Saint Charles Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 Saint Charles Avenue, New Orleans LA 70130, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of the St. Charles Theaters (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lafayette Square (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Birthplace of “Dixie” (approx. 0.2 miles away); United States Customhouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Canal Street Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lambert-Gallier Inn of Court (approx. ¼ mile away); Conway’s Court (approx. 0.3 miles away); U.S. Branch Bank (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in New Orleans.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 833 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement