Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Defenses of Washington
Here stood Battery Garesché, constructed late in 1861 to control the higher ground dominating Fort Reynolds, 200 yards to the southeast. It had a perimeter of 166 yards and emplacements for 8 guns.
Erected 1965 by Arlington County, Virginia. (Marker Number 20.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Defenses of Washington marker series.
Location. 38° 50.311′ N, 77° 5.835′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker is at the intersection of South Abingdon Street and South 30th Road, on the right when traveling south on South Abingdon Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington VA 22206, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Reynolds (approx. 0.2 miles away); Edmund Douglas Campbell (approx. 0.4 miles away); Elizabeth Pfohl Campbell (approx. 0.4 miles away); Rifle Trench (approx. half a mile away); Original Federal Boundary Stone SW 5 (approx. 0.6 miles away); Margaret Elizabeth Pfohl Campbell (approx. 0.6 miles away); Profile of Fort (approx. 0.6 miles away); Northwest Bastion (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Arlington.
More about this marker. In the center of the marker is a map of the Washington Defenses, with a red (weathered) arrow pointing out the location of Battery Garesché.
Also see . . . Wikipedia entry for Julius Peter Garesché, U.S. Army. (Submitted on March 27, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
1. Battery Garesche Particulars
From Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington, by Benjamin Franklin Cooling III and Walton H. Owen II:
The fort stood at the east corner of 30th Road and South Abingdon Street. It was named for Colonel Julius Peter Garesche, killed at the Battle of Murfreesboro, Tennessee on December 31, 1862. The battery was built to cover a blind spot of nearby Fort Reynolds. In addition Blockhouse No. 3, standing near what is today 3033 South Columbus Street, covered the same blind spot.
— Submitted February 4, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 1,491 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on . 3. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.