Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dover in Kent County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Site Of Kent County’s First Presbyterian Church

 
 
Site of Kent County's First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Roger Dean Meyer, October 9, 2006
1. Site of Kent County's First Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription. A Presbyterian Society, present in Kent from c1694, was organized and worshipped in a log church on this site from c1708 until 1791. The Presbytery of Philadelphia recognized its congregation in 1714. The present church was built in 1791 and served its congregation until 1924 when a new church was dedicated at State and Reed Street. The Chapel was added in 1880. Among the burials are Col. John Haslet, Commander of the Delaware Regiment, who was killed during the Battle of Princeton in 1777; John M. Clayton (1796-1856), U. S. Secretary of State; and Governors Jacob Stout (c1767-1857), Charles Polk (1788-1857) and J. Caleb Boggs (1909-1993). The 2nd State Constitutional Convention (1791-1792) chaired by John Dickinson, and the 3rd State Constitutional Convention in 1832 were held here. The church and chapel became part of the Delaware State Museum in 1949. The Cemetery is the property of the Presbyterian Church of Dover. The property was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.
 
Erected 2005 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number KC-94.)
 
Location. 39° 9.357′ N, 75° 31.597′ W. Marker is in Dover, Delaware, in Kent County. Marker is on South Governor's Avenue 0.2 miles south of West
The Old Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By Roger Dean Meyer, October 9, 2006
2. The Old Presbyterian Church
North Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Philadelphia PA 19104, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Colonel John Haslet (a few steps from this marker); John M. Clayton (a few steps from this marker); Old Presbyterian Church (a few steps from this marker); Site of Dover's First Methodist Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Golden Fleece Tavern (approx. 0.2 miles away); In the Council Chamber of Elizabeth Battell's Golden Fleece Tavern (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Capitol Theater (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of King George’s Tavern (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Dover.
 
Also see . . .
1. About This Building. (Submitted on February 4, 2008, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota.)
2. Welcome to the Delaware Archaeology Museum. (Submitted on February 4, 2008, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota.)
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.Notable BuildingsNotable Persons
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 1,631 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement