Inscription. Founded in 1838, this was the first public school in Hamilton County. It stood on a small hill about two miles northeast. Many citizens, later prominent in the life of the state and the community, received their early education here. It closed its doors about 1890.
By Judith Barber, January 14, 2012
|1. Harrison Academy Marker|
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2A 37.)
Location. 35° 6.591′ N, 85° 8.441′ W. Marker is in Harrison, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker is at the intersection of Tennessee Route 58 and Tyner Lane, on the right when traveling north on State Route 58. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5637 Tennessee 58, Harrison TN 37341, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Old Harrison (approx. 2.2 miles away); Joseph Vann's Town (approx. 2.9 miles away); Confederate Cemetery (approx. 3.4 miles away); Bonny Oaks School (approx. 3.4 miles away); Tennessee Valley Railroad And Museum (approx. 4.7 miles away); Giles A. Smith's Brigade (approx. 6.1 miles away); Alexander's Brigade (approx. 6.1 miles away); 63rd Illinois (approx. 6.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Harrison.
Credits. This page originally submitted on January 17, 2012, by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. This page has been viewed 135 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on January 17, 2012, by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
|Recommend or Share This Page. |