Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dickinson in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First United Methodist Church

of Dickinson

 
 
First United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, January 19, 2012
1. First United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. In 1876 a group of Methodists led by the Rev. P.E. Nicholson began meeting in private homes in the Dickinson area. In 1885 a frame building was erected for use as a church and school.

The Dickinson congregation does not appear in official denominational records until 1893, when a report stated that a minister was to be supplied to the church.

After the first building was destroyed in the storm of 1900, a new structure was built using salvaged materials from the old church. Completed in 1901, the two-story frame building was also used as a school. In 1909 property was purchased for a third facility to be built in memory of W.E. Nolan. Additions were completed in 1935, and in 1937 the congregation received its first full-time pastor.

In 1944, when the widow of church member Edwin P. Howell donated funds for a new sanctuary to be built in his memory, the name of the church was changed to Howell Memorial Methodist Church.

With cornerstones from the 1909 and 1944 sanctuaries incorporated into its design, the present structure was begun in 1975. When completed, it was renamed First United Methodist Church of Dickinson.
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986

 
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7446.)
Not the original church -- marker in foreground image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, January 19, 2012
2. Not the original church -- marker in foreground

 
Location. 29° 26.841′ N, 95° 4.791′ W. Marker is in Dickinson, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is at the intersection of FM 517 and Medical Park Drive, on the right when traveling east on FM 517. Click for map. Located in the church parking lot. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 FM 517 Rd W, Dickinson TX 77539, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Dickinson Station of the Galveston, Houston, & Henderson Railroad Co. (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Holy Trinity Episcopal Church (approx. 2 miles away); Faith United Methodist Church (approx. 2 miles away); Evergreen Cemetery (approx. 2.5 miles away); League Park (approx. 4.4 miles away); Mainland Mission Churches (approx. 4.5 miles away); St. Mary Mission Church (approx. 4.5 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 4.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Dickinson.
 
Also see . . .  First United Methodist Church. (Submitted on January 20, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Not the original church image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, January 19, 2012
3. Not the original church
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 286 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement