Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Diego in San Diego County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

William Heath Davis House, 1850

 
 
William Heath Davis House, 1850 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dean Whittle, January 9, 2012
1. William Heath Davis House, 1850 Marker
Inscription. The Davis house is the oldest surviving structure from San Diego's New Town. It is an example of a prefabricated, "salt-box" style home. Built on the East Coast, shipped around Cape Horn, and assembled in San Diego, The Davis House originally stood on State and Market, but was moved to 11th Avenue, and finally to its present site in 1984. Along with being a residence, it also has served as a county hospital.
 
Erected by Gaslamp Quarter. (Marker Number 1.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Gaslamp Quarter - San Diego marker series.
 
Location. 32° 42.62′ N, 117° 9.65′ W. Marker is in San Diego, California, in San Diego County. Marker is at the intersection of Island Avenue and 4th Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Island Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 410 Island Avenue, San Diego CA 92101, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Quin Building, 1930 (within shouting distance of this marker); Horton Grand - Kahle Saddlery – 1886 (within shouting distance of this marker); Bum - San Diego’s Official Town Dog / Greyfriars Bobby (within shouting
William Heath Davis House image. Click for full size.
By Dean Whittle, January 9, 2012
2. William Heath Davis House
Marker is visible on the left side of the building.
distance of this marker); Chinese Laundry, 1923 (within shouting distance of this marker); Pacifica Hotel, 1910 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lester Hotel, 1906 (about 400 feet away); Timkin Building, 1894 (about 400 feet away); Chinese Mission Building, 1927 (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in San Diego.
 
Also see . . .
1. William Heath Davis House. Includes interior photos. (Submitted on January 20, 2012.) 

2. The William Heath Davis House Museum. (Submitted on January 20, 2012.)
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
City of San Diego Historical Site No, 9 image. Click for full size.
By Dean Whittle, January 9, 2012
3. City of San Diego Historical Site No, 9
The Corner of Island and 4th Avenues image. Click for full size.
By Dean Whittle, January 10, 2012
4. The Corner of Island and 4th Avenues
The William Heath Davis House is seen on the right and the Grand Horton Hotel is seen on the left.
Photo on Display at the William Heath Davis House image. Click for full size.
5. Photo on Display at the William Heath Davis House
The house at its previous location at 227 11th Street

The William Heath Davis House has been moved a number of times. In 1850 it was prefabricated in Portland, Maine, and subsequently shipped around Cape Horn to San Diego. Upon arrival the house was constructed on State Street at a site between Market and G Streets.

In approximately 1873 it was purchased by Anna Scheper and moved to 227 11th Street serving as the unofficial San Diego County Hospital. Finally, in 1984 it arrived at its present location at 410 Island Avenue where the restoration was performed that made it into the museum it is today.
William Heath Davis House image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, July 10, 2010
6. William Heath Davis House
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dean Whittle of San Diego, California. This page has been viewed 651 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Dean Whittle of San Diego, California.   5. submitted on , by Maja Tajima of San Diego, California.   6. submitted on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement