Trona in San Bernardino County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The building was named for Stafford W. Austin, the court appointed receiver for the troubled California Trona Company. Austin guided the company through its evolution from the John Searles owned San Bernardino Borax Mining Company to the eventually successful American Potash and Chemical Corporation. The building was removed in 1965.
Erected 2002 by Searles Valley Historical Society.
Location. 35° 45.601′ N, 117° 22.564′ W. Marker is in Trona, California, in San Bernardino County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Trona Road on Main Street. Click for map
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Searles Lake Borax Discovery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Valley Wells (approx. 5.2 miles away); John & Dennis Searles Wagon Routes (approx. 5.5 miles away); Epsom Salts Monorail (approx. 5.5 miles away); Welcome to the Trona Pinnacles (approx. 9.9 miles away).
Also see . . . Trona in 1948. This article is from a brochure published by the American Potash & Chemical Corporation in 1948. It includes history and photos. (Submitted on January 26, 2012.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Entertainment • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 408 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.