“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Williamsport in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

River View Cemetery

River View Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, December 20, 2011
1. River View Cemetery Marker
Inscription. The origin of River View Cemetery dates back to the November session of the General Assembly of Maryland in the year 1786 when it was incorporated by special act of that body. The land was donated to the town of Williamsport by General Otho Holland Williams, the founder of the town, the plat of same being registered in Hagerstown under the date of May 18th, 1787. The earliest recollection of the oldest citizen now living recalls this hallowed spot as a public commons, thickly covered with a dense growth of underwood and briars. Such was its condition when the Ladies Cemetery and Memorial Association of the place was organized in 1881, having as its special object the for this silent city of the dead. This charitable organization procured its charter in 1887 and under its painstaking and efficient management the tares have given place to the wheat of disinterested, well directed, Christian effort.

The present officers of this organization are Mrs. Charles Davis, President; Mrs. Arthur C. Gruber, Vice-President; Mrs. Geo. Thompson, Treasurer; Mrs. Jacob B. Master, Secretary; Mrs. M.E. Long, General Manager

This tablet is donated by D.F.Hill & Son, of Hagerstown, MD, and is specially dedicated to those who have made do many sacrifices in the accomplishment of what has been done.
River View Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, December 20, 2011
2. River View Cemetery Marker
The mound in the right background of this picture is "Doubleday Hill", home of another marker where Abner Doubleday built a breastwork during the Civil War.
39° 35.892′ N, 77° 49.465′ W. Marker is in Williamsport, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Commerce Street and Salisbury Street, on the right when traveling south on Commerce Street. Click for map. Marker is about 100 yards south of the intersection, just up the drive into the cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsport MD 21795, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Bowie List (within shouting distance of this marker); Doubleday Hill (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Doubleday Hill (about 400 feet away); Light's Ford and Lemen's Ferry (about 400 feet away); Abner Doubleday (about 400 feet away); The C&O Canal in the Civil War at Williamsport (about 600 feet away); Boats Passing By (about 700 feet away); Murder of Dewitt Clinton Rench (Rentch) (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Williamsport.
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesCharity & Public Work
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 454 times since then and 93 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement