“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lancaster in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

First Reformed Church

First Reformed Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, February 2, 2008
1. First Reformed Church Marker
Inscription. Congregation of German, Swiss, and French settlers was formed about 1729. Log church here, Lancaster's first, 1736. Stone building, 1753; brick church, 1854. Rev. Philip Otterbein, Rev. William Hendel, Dr. Henry Harbaugh were eminent pastors.
Erected 1992 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Location. 40° 2.374′ N, 76° 18.273′ W. Marker is in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, in Lancaster County. Marker is on E. Orange Street 0.1 miles west of N. Duke Street, on the left. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 40 E. Orange Street, Lancaster PA 17603, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Patriots of St. James Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. James' Church (Episcopal) (about 300 feet away); Lancaster County (about 400 feet away); The Rev. Thomas Barton (about 400 feet away); Edward Shippen (about 400 feet away); Captain Stephen Chambers (about 400 feet away); Jasper Yeates (about 400 feet away); Robert Coleman (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Lancaster.
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial EraNotable BuildingsNotable Persons
First Reformed Church image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, February 2, 2008
2. First Reformed Church
Plaque on Church Building image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, February 2, 2008
3. Plaque on Church Building
First Reformed Church
This congregation organized by French, Swiss and German settlers, 1730 -1739.
The log church, first church consecrated to the worship of God in this city, June 20, 1735. Stood on this site.
The first bell hung on old hickory tree near site of court house 1741. Rung as warning of sudden incursion of hostile indians when in tower of church.
Rev. Philip William Otterbein, founder Church of the United Brethren in Christ, Pastor of this congregation 1752-1758.
Barbara Fritchie, nee Barbara Hauer, baptized in old stone church on this site, December 14 1755, by Rev Wm. Hendel.
Rev. Charles Lewis Boehme preached in old stone church to the French traders, 1771-1775.
Fifty three members of this congregation in service of Colonies in Revolutionary War, 1775-1783.
Rev. John Conrad Helfenstein preached to the Hessian prisoners, 1775-1779.
Graves of Revolutionary soldiers in churchyard.
First Synod Reformed Church, organized in old stone church, 1793.
Hymn, "Jesus I Live to Thee" written in this church by Rev. Henry Harbaugh, 1850-1880.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,172 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement