Sanford in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Developers about 1875, despite the Army's spelling, created a housing subdivision in this area giving it the name of Fort Reed. Also, in 1886, at what is now the northwest corner of the Airport in Sanford, a station on the railroad between Sanford and Oviedo was given the name of Fort Reed.
Erected by the Seminole County Historical Commission.
Location. 28° 47.702′ N, 81° 15.381′ W. Marker is in Sanford, Florida, in Seminole County. Marker is on Catalina Drive west of Mellonville Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. The marker is located at Speer Grove Park, a Sanford city park. Marker is
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Reid 1836 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Georgetown (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. James African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.8 miles away); Dr. Seth French (1824~1896) (approx. one mile away); Sanford State Farmers' Market (approx. 1.1 miles away); Early Hospitals in Sanford (approx. 1.1 miles away); Sanford High School/Sanford Grammar/Student Museum (approx. 1.2 miles away); Hotel Forrest Lake (approx. 1.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Sanford.
More about this marker. The marker is capped with the Seminole County Historic Marker logo.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Man-Made Features • Railroads & Streetcars • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 871 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.