Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Jose in Santa Clara County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

O’Brien’s

Candies – Ice Cream

 
 
O’Brien’s Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, January 25, 2012
1. O’Brien’s Marker
[Photo captions, left, right:]

Exterior of O’Brien’s at 30 South First Street, c. 1880’s.

O’Brien’s buckskin horse and delivery wagon.
Inscription. Acclaimed as “the prettiest and most attractive candy store on the Pacific Coast. O’Brien’s Candy Store was more than a business to San Joseans, it was an institution – the natural spot to stroll to after a show or the ideal place to meet a friend on a lazy afternoon.

The first place to serve ice cream sodas west of Detroit in 1878, O’Brien’s Candy Store was founded in 1868 by Maurice O’Brien, an Irish immigrant. With $500 in his pocket, he began his San Jose candy business by selling baskets of candy in the doorway of the Pacific Hotel. Soon outgrowing his doorway location as his business rapidly prospered, O’Brien’s, his buckskin horse and delivery cart, moved to a corner stand at First and San Fernando, and in 1874 to 30 South First Street, the home of O’Brien’s Candy Store for the next fifty-three years. In 1928 O’Brien’s made its final move to 223 South First Street where it remained until the family business closed in January 1956.

O’Brien’s symbolized “nothing but the best” to all those interested in the newest and fanciest fountain drinks and concerned with the “special attention given to the making and serving of novel ices and ice creams.”

Donated to the people of San Jose June 22, 1977 as the culmination of a two year Rotary Club project to observe
O’Brien’s Candy Factory and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, January 25, 2012
2. O’Brien’s Candy Factory and Marker
The marker is mounted on a wooden stand to the left of the far left bench.
the 200th Anniversary of our nation (July 4, 1776) and the 200th Anniversary of the founding of the City of San Jose, (November 29, 1777).

 
Erected by Rotary Club of San Jose.
 
Location. 37° 19.22′ N, 121° 51.468′ W. Marker is in San Jose, California, in Santa Clara County. Marker can be reached from Senter Road, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1650 Senter Road, San Jose CA 95112, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. San Jose Electric Tower (a few steps from this marker); The Printing Office (within shouting distance of this marker); The Print Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); Ng Shing Gung (within shouting distance of this marker); Empire Firehouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Warburton’s Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Stevens Ranch Fruit Barn (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Chiechi House (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in San Jose.
 
More about this marker. This marker is located in History Park, a part of San Jose’s Kelly Park.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 452 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement