Liberty in Pickens County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Veterans Service Station
by a group of Patriots and
was named for that principle
for which they so bravely fought.
City Officials 1935
Mayor: Dr. E.J. Bryson
Treas.: C.L. Templeton
J.C. Boggs, Chm
H.A. Davis, Sup.
Chief: J.W. Julian
Location. 34° 47.3′ N, 82° 41.35′ W. Marker is in Liberty, South Carolina, in Pickens County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street (State Highway 93) and Southern Street on East Main Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Liberty SC 29657, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. World War Veterans Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); John C. Calhoun Memorial Highway (approx. 2.4 miles away); St. Luke's Methodist Episcopal Church & Cemetery (approx. 3.4 miles away); Soldiers Buried in Carmel Cemetery Golden Creek Mill (approx. 3.6 miles away); Pickensville (approx. 5.2 miles away); Julien D. Wyatt (approx. 5.5 miles away); Colonel Robert Elliott Holcombe (approx. 5.6 miles away); Easley Veterans Memorial (approx. 5.6 miles away); Captain Kimberly Hampton (approx. 5.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Liberty.
Also see . . .
1. City of Liberty, SC. Official website of the City of Liberty, S.C. (Submitted on February 4, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Liberty, South Carolina. Liberty is a city in Pickens County, South Carolina, United States. (Submitted on February 4, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. History of the Veterans Service Station
The Veterans Service Station was built in 1935 using local stone from the nearby Liberty Rock Quarry. The cornerstone of the building indicates that it was built by "CA_JC, & JS Newton". A marble plaque on the side of the building lists the mayor and council and other public figures at the time of the building's dedication, and also gives a history of the town, which claims that the town of Liberty was "founded in 1776 by a group of patriots." While this history is etched in granite on the building, it contradicts what is generally known about our area during the colonial period, when all of the land in Greenville, Anderson, Oconee, and Pickens counties was still Cherokee Territory (see "Liberty South Carolina 1876-1976" by Woodson & Sheriff (1992)).
A granite monument was erected next to the Veterans Service Station by Dr. E.J. Bryson soon after the building's completion. The monument includes a flagpole, lists the names of the local soldiers who fought in the first World War, and is "Dedicated to Veterans World War". The marker was struck by an automobile and broken in pieces many years ago. The pieces were collected by Mrs. Julia Jean Woodson, who kept the broken monument under a magnolia tree at her home on Main Street. In 2002 a Liberty councilman, Rick Clark, recovered the broken monument pieces from Mrs. Woodson, had them repaired and returned to the Veterans Service Station site.
The building served originally as a Shell Gas station, and continued to be used for that purpose for many years. During the 1990s it served as a restaurant and later a pizza parlor, but soon fell into disrepair. In 2003 it was purchased by Lake and Mountain Country, LLC and completely renovated to reflect as much of its original appearance as possible. The renovation was given a special award for commercial renovation by the Greater Greenville Board of Realtors.
The Liberty Chamber of Commerce used the Veterans Service Station for it headquarters from 2003 until 2005 when the Chamber relocated to the nearby Rosewood Center. The property then became the location of a real estate agency, which operated from August 2006 until July 2009. (Source: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=138854328216.)
— Submitted February 4, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 250 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.