Fort Worth in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Additions were made to the hotel and it was renamed the Pickwick. The hotel’s name changed to the Delaware in 1891. The Delaware was demolished in 1911, and the seven-story Westbrook Hotel opened on the site. In 1917, the Westbrook’s crowded lobby became the center of frenzied oil boom activity. A lobby sculpture was named the “Golden Goddess” because of the many oil deals made around her. The Westbrook was torn down in 1978 and the “Golden Goddess” now resides at the Petroleum Club at 7th & Main Streets.
Erected 2006 by Heritage Trails and Susan Kelly Blue, M.D. (Marker Number 8.)
Location. 32° 45.292′ N, 97° 19.881′ W. Marker is in Fort Worth, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker is on Main Street north of East 4th Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Opera Houses & Theaters (within shouting distance of this marker); Gamblers & Gunfights (within shouting distance of this marker); Land Title Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Morris and Conn Buildings (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Plaza Hotel Building (about 300 feet away); Blackstone Hotel (about 500 feet away); Fort Worth's First Telephone Exchange (about 500 feet away); "The Stage Leaves From Here" (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Fort Worth.
Also see . . . Fort Worth Heritage Trails. (Submitted on February 7, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 307 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. 3, 4. submitted on . • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.