Lewistown in Mifflin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected in 1755-56 along the river just south. An important link in the chain of early frontier defenses. Destroyed July 30, 1756 by French and Indians under Capt. Coulon de Villiers.
Erected 1947 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Location. 40° 35.298′ N, 77° 36.093′ W. Marker is in Lewistown, Pennsylvania, in Mifflin County. Marker is on 4th Street (U.S. 22) near State Street, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1200 West 4th Street, Lewistown PA 17044, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Fort Granville (here, next to this marker); Lewistown Station (approx. 1.3 miles away); Coleman House (approx. 1.5 miles away); Wollner Building (approx. 1.5 miles away); Montgomery Ward Building (approx. 1.5 miles away); Historic Courthouse (approx. 1.5 miles away); Peacock Majors Tavern (approx. 1.5 miles away); Mifflin County (approx. 1.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Lewistown.
Also see . . . Fort Granville. (Submitted on February 7, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles • Native Americans • War, French and Indian •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 315 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.