Neeses in Orangeburg County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Neeses was known as Silver Springs from its early settlement until September 29, 1898, when the name was changed to Neeses to honor Mayor John W. Neese who sold a right of way to the South Bound Railroad Co. May 18, 1891.
Neese the first merchant built and gave to the Florida Central and Peninsular Railroad Co. the first depot that stood near this site.
Stone donated by G.B. Dominick Family and citizens of Neeses.
Merchants prior to 1900
J.W. Neese; H.L.J. Blume; T.J. Bolin; J.W.B.Chaplin
Town Council 1970
Henry M. Chaplin, Mayor; L.C. Bonnette; Roscoe Gleaton; F.F. Corbett; O.S. Gleaton; S.J. Tindal, Clerk
Erected 1970 by G.B. Dominick Family and citizens of Neeses.
Location. 33° 31.896′ N, 81° 7.48′ W. Marker is in Neeses, South Carolina, in Orangeburg County. Marker is at the intersection of Rice Street and Silver Springs Road, on the left when traveling west on Rice Street. Click for map. marker is located in front of the Post Office. Marker is in this post office area: Neeses SC 29107, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Town Of North (approx. Moorefield Memorial Highway (approx. 6.5 miles away); Great Branch School and Teacherage (approx. 7.1 miles away); Old Indian Trail (approx. 10.1 miles away); Capt. Dempsey Hammond Salley (approx. 10.6 miles away); The Salley Family (approx. 10.6 miles away); Zion Church (approx. 11.9 miles away); Commemorative Memorial (approx. 12.7 miles away).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 408 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.