Lewistown in Mifflin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
About 650 yards south of this spot, on the high bank of the Juniata River, was the site of Fort Granville, which was erected in 1755-56. This fort was twice attacked by the Indians. It was destroyed on July 30, 1756, when in command of Lieut. Edward Armstrong, who was killed in the battle with a large body of French and Indians. The entire garrison was either killed or carried into captivity.
Erected 1916 by Pennyslvania Historical Commission and the Committee on Historical Research of Mifflin County.
Location. 40° 35.296′ N, 77° 36.095′ W. Marker is in Lewistown, Pennsylvania, in Mifflin County. Marker is on 4th Street (U.S. 22/522), on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1200 West 4th Street, Lewistown PA 17044, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Fort Granville (here, next to this marker); Lewistown Station (approx. 1.3 miles away); Coleman House (approx. 1.5 miles away); Wollner Building (approx. 1.5 miles away); Montgomery Ward Building (approx. Historic Courthouse (approx. 1.5 miles away); Peacock Majors Tavern (approx. 1.5 miles away); Mifflin County (approx. 1.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Lewistown.
Also see . . . Fort Granville. (Submitted on February 8, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Native Americans • Patriots & Patriotism • War, French and Indian •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 520 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.